"It's a hard transition," said Yarber, who was just cleared to play football after knee surgery two weeks ago. "But I think we're capable of great things. We have a lot of focus, and we're working really hard."
Kearns Cougars at a glance
Coach: Bill Cosper is in his seventh year at the helm of the Kearns football program. The Texas native is 29-35 overall as a head coach.
(11 returning starters; Multiple-formations offense)
The offense returns some talented skill players in running back James Felila and quarterback Jordan Floyd. Felila rushed for a team-high nine touchdowns, and he averaged nearly seven yards per carry last year. Floyd shared time at the quarterback position, but established himself as something special in Kearns' game against Riverton when he set a school record throwing for 342 yards. Tight end Colton Grossaint and running back/receiver Amone Finau, a junior, will also make an impact for the Cougars. The big question mark is the offensive line as it will be the responsibility of the team's defensive line to play both sides of the ball.
(7 returning starters)
Isaac Yarber and Lehigh Afatasi are talented, experienced and committed. The question will be whether they have the stamina to play both defensive line and offensive line — every down, every game. Both are quick and smart with positive attitudes about playing both ways. Jeremy Frieze, a safety, will join Finau in the secondary to give Kearns speed and athleticism.
Coaches Preseason Region 2 Straw Poll: Fourth
Deseret News Region 2 Prediction: Third
Bottom line: Staying healthy will be key to the Cougars' success. They have talent and desire. They simply lack depth after losing seven athletes to transfers.
Aug. 17 — at Pleasant Grove, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 — at Copper Hills, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 — Northridge, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 — Jordan, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 — at Riverton, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 — Taylorsville, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 — West, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 — at Hunter, 7 p.m.
Oct. 11 — at Viewmont, 7 p.m.
Oct. 17 — Granger, 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Kearns High School
All-time record: 149-299-1 (46 years)
Region championships: 4 (1969, 1973 co, 1989 co, 1993)
Playoff appearances: 19
All-time playoff record: 11-17
State championships: 2 (1972, 1989)
State championship record: 2-0
Most played rivalry: 42 meetings with Granger dating back to 1966. Granger leads 33-12. Meet on Oct. 17.
Felt’s Factoid(s): Cougar Al Romero booted a state-record 92-yard punt in 1976.
Kearns coaching history
2006-current — Bill Cosper (29-35)
2002-2005 — Doug Bills (9-31)
1997-2001 — Marvin Magalei (9-39)
1990-1996 — Mike Sorich (18-50)
1983-1989 — Tom Larsen (29-39)
1980-1982 — Bruce Takeno (5-20)
1978-1979 — Gil Cordova (2-16)
1966-1977 — Frank Klekas (47-69)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 106
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27