High school football: Diamond Ranch D-Backs 2012 preview
Ryan Ong has never played football, but the baseball player takes over as quarterback for the D-Backs. Ong’s top receiving threats will be tight end Tion Timmel and wide receiver River Aguire. Eric Upson will start at tailback, and coach Dias has been impressed with him this summer. With that said, he’s never seen him play in a meaningful game and he’s anxious to find out if he’s a gamer on Friday nights. Joe Yeager and Donald Chapman will be the leadership of the offensive line.
(0 returning starters)
Safety Andrew Miller played safety for his 5A team in Texas a year ago, and at 6-foot-2, 200 pounds he’ll be an imposing presence for the Diamond Backs this year. He’s also one of the few players who will probably play on both sides of the ball. Timmel is being recruited to play defensive end in college, and even though his primary position in high school is tight end, with his athleticism it will be hard for Diamond Ranch’s coaches to keep him on the sideline defensively.
Coaches preseason 1A South straw poll: Second
Deseret News 1A South prediction: Second
Bottom line: The quality of 1A football caught Diamond Ranch by surprise last year, and the coaches vow to be much more prepared this year. The players, however, are all new and there will always be an inevitable learning curve as a result. It’s unlikely that Diamond Ranch will unseat Monticello as the 1A South region champion, but it’s a slight favorite to edge Milford to clinch the second seed and earn a home playoff game.
Aug. 17 — at Enterprise, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 — WHITEHORSE, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 — BISHOP GORMAN, NEV. JV, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 — ALTAMONT, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 — at Duchesne, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 — at Milford, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 — MONUMENT VALLEY, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 — at Monticello, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 — RICH, 7 p.m.
Oct. 19 — at Summit Academy, 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Diamond Ranch High School
All-time record: 5-5 (1 year)
Region championships: 0
Playoff appearances: 1
All-time playoff record: 0-1
State championships: 0
State championship record: 0-0
*Most played rivalry: 2 meetings with two schools, Agassi Prep (Nev.) and Rich, both dating back to 2011. DR leads Agassi Prep 2-0 and Rich leads 2-0. Meets Rich on Oct. 12.
Felt’s Factoid(s): DR became just the 11th school to advance to the playoffs in its first year playing varsity football.
Diamond Ranch coaching history
2011-current — Robbie Dias (5-5)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2011 — Kyle Atchison, QB/DB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Contributing: Jessica Wilde, Conner Johnson, Steve Mundee and prep football historian George Felt.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: American Fork rallies...
- Orem's Paxton Schultz uses extra motivation...
- 5A softball: Third-ranked Riverton defeats...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- 5A softball: Unranked and unheralded... 3
- Timpanogos takes home a 4A state... 3
- High school baseball: Wasatch skipper... 2
- High school baseball: Lone Peak pulls... 1
- High school soccer: Maple Mountain... 1
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork sweeps second... 1
- High school baseball: American Fork... 1