Police focused on Josh Powell's odd behavior from the beginning, new documents show
Redacted reports reveal little new info in Susan Powell case
By April of 2010, West Valley detectives were documenting the odd and very strong obsession Susan Powell's father-in-law, Steven Powell, had with her — writing, among other things, that Steven Powell "had offered to accept the Joshua and Susan Powell family into his home, and Susan would become a type of additional wife, with their family, to be cared for by him."
It wasn't until more than a year later, however, in September 2011, that Steven Powell was arrested for multiple counts of voyeurism. He was convicted of surreptitiously taking photographs of young neighbor girls in their bathroom earlier this year.
Police apparently also questioned Steven Powell about what he knew about his daughter-in-law's disappearance, noting that Powell told police "he did not assist or orchestrate any activity with his son, Joshua Powell, related to the disappearance for Susan Marie Powell."
Also Tuesday, Bremner and the recently appointed litigation guardian ad litem for Susan Powell, William Dussault, put the Washington Department of Social and Health Services on notice that they intend to file a $20 million civil lawsuit against them.
Bremner said there were plenty of red flags DSHS should have noted and they should not, as an organization, try to reunite children with their parents at any cost. The suit, she said, would claim acts of negligence on the part of DSHS in the deaths of Charlie and Braden Powell.
Washington state now has 60 days to respond.
Contributing: Jared Page
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Sculptor hopes new statue brings comfort to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 17
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 16
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 14
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 12
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Sen. Mike Lee pushing for vote on USA... 9
- A.G. Sean Reyes took donation from... 8