Police focused on Josh Powell's odd behavior from the beginning, new documents show
Redacted reports reveal little new info in Susan Powell case
By April of 2010, West Valley detectives were documenting the odd and very strong obsession Susan Powell's father-in-law, Steven Powell, had with her — writing, among other things, that Steven Powell "had offered to accept the Joshua and Susan Powell family into his home, and Susan would become a type of additional wife, with their family, to be cared for by him."
It wasn't until more than a year later, however, in September 2011, that Steven Powell was arrested for multiple counts of voyeurism. He was convicted of surreptitiously taking photographs of young neighbor girls in their bathroom earlier this year.
Police apparently also questioned Steven Powell about what he knew about his daughter-in-law's disappearance, noting that Powell told police "he did not assist or orchestrate any activity with his son, Joshua Powell, related to the disappearance for Susan Marie Powell."
Also Tuesday, Bremner and the recently appointed litigation guardian ad litem for Susan Powell, William Dussault, put the Washington Department of Social and Health Services on notice that they intend to file a $20 million civil lawsuit against them.
Bremner said there were plenty of red flags DSHS should have noted and they should not, as an organization, try to reunite children with their parents at any cost. The suit, she said, would claim acts of negligence on the part of DSHS in the deaths of Charlie and Braden Powell.
Washington state now has 60 days to respond.
Contributing: Jared Page
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic Con...
- Man fighting for custody of daughter may get...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 48
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 25
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 23
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 18
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Longtime Salt Lake County Councilman... 15