MOAB — Many businesses are born after a product on the market fails to impress. Entrepreneurs, Greg and Doug Kennedy found themselves disappointed with one product in particular — the glow stick.
After an environmentally friendly, electric glow stick failed the two brothers' expectations, they decided to recreate the flashlight. The Kennedy’s became the founders of Tactical Lighting Solutions in 1998.
The Kennedy brothers' product, Lazerbright, produces the same functions that a glow stick and flashlight provide. The product contains two LED heads of the flashlight, found on each end, and can be removed. This versatility enables the light to become a flashlight or a glow stick depending on the consumer's need. The LED heads can also be easily attached to outdoor gear or other items to brighten an area.
Though the Kennedys got a patent for their product 1998, it wasn't until three versions later that Lazerbright seemed ready to make another appearance in the Outdoor Retailer convention this year.
Tactical Lighting Solutions, the Moab-based company made an appearance at the convention about 10 years ago, however, the product wasn't as functional as consumers would like it.
After recognition from the U.S. Army — and product revisions — Lazerbright finally took off. Tactical Lighting Solutions is now making items for the army to hold the flashlight in.
"We had never been a manufacturer before; there was a huge learning curve there," Greg Kennedy said. Kennedy said his latest challenge is keeping control of Lazerbright’s production and how to manage Internet sales.
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter...
- There's a bipartisan new approach to curbing...
- Is paying for extended warranties worth it?...
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't working for...
- How Facebook plans to change the world with...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 18
- Why the 9 to 5 factory work isn't... 17
- Who wins and loses under Obama's... 12
- Higher wages a surprising success for... 11
- What consumers need to know about chip... 6
- Sex and violence harm rather than help... 5
- Contractor fined for employing children... 4
- Which Utah city is ranked highest for... 2