MOAB — Many businesses are born after a product on the market fails to impress. Entrepreneurs, Greg and Doug Kennedy found themselves disappointed with one product in particular — the glow stick.
After an environmentally friendly, electric glow stick failed the two brothers' expectations, they decided to recreate the flashlight. The Kennedy’s became the founders of Tactical Lighting Solutions in 1998.
The Kennedy brothers' product, Lazerbright, produces the same functions that a glow stick and flashlight provide. The product contains two LED heads of the flashlight, found on each end, and can be removed. This versatility enables the light to become a flashlight or a glow stick depending on the consumer's need. The LED heads can also be easily attached to outdoor gear or other items to brighten an area.
Though the Kennedys got a patent for their product 1998, it wasn't until three versions later that Lazerbright seemed ready to make another appearance in the Outdoor Retailer convention this year.
Tactical Lighting Solutions, the Moab-based company made an appearance at the convention about 10 years ago, however, the product wasn't as functional as consumers would like it.
After recognition from the U.S. Army — and product revisions — Lazerbright finally took off. Tactical Lighting Solutions is now making items for the army to hold the flashlight in.
"We had never been a manufacturer before; there was a huge learning curve there," Greg Kennedy said. Kennedy said his latest challenge is keeping control of Lazerbright’s production and how to manage Internet sales.
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Weber State center helping to improve auto...
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage...
- Cedar Hills to require business licenses for...
- Healthy jobs report a good sign for future...
- 3,000 Workforce Services clients may be...
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 10
- System failure to blame for delayed... 8
- Obama to feds: Boost renewable power 20... 6
- Cedar Hills to require business... 5
- DeseretNews.com reaches page view... 4
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for... 2
- United Kingdom government predicting... 1