MOAB — Many businesses are born after a product on the market fails to impress. Entrepreneurs, Greg and Doug Kennedy found themselves disappointed with one product in particular — the glow stick.
After an environmentally friendly, electric glow stick failed the two brothers' expectations, they decided to recreate the flashlight. The Kennedy’s became the founders of Tactical Lighting Solutions in 1998.
The Kennedy brothers' product, Lazerbright, produces the same functions that a glow stick and flashlight provide. The product contains two LED heads of the flashlight, found on each end, and can be removed. This versatility enables the light to become a flashlight or a glow stick depending on the consumer's need. The LED heads can also be easily attached to outdoor gear or other items to brighten an area.
Though the Kennedys got a patent for their product 1998, it wasn't until three versions later that Lazerbright seemed ready to make another appearance in the Outdoor Retailer convention this year.
Tactical Lighting Solutions, the Moab-based company made an appearance at the convention about 10 years ago, however, the product wasn't as functional as consumers would like it.
After recognition from the U.S. Army — and product revisions — Lazerbright finally took off. Tactical Lighting Solutions is now making items for the army to hold the flashlight in.
"We had never been a manufacturer before; there was a huge learning curve there," Greg Kennedy said. Kennedy said his latest challenge is keeping control of Lazerbright’s production and how to manage Internet sales.
- Q-and-A with Vale Hale: a 'pretty...
- Rebate or tax credit? Clean air proposal...
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Study: Apple's new iPhones score big in...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason to...
- Remembering the most brilliant man in the room
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 4
- Rebate or tax credit? Clean air... 3
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs 2
- Where’s the app for an earthquake... 2
- Bus ads bringing thousands of dollars... 2