Evacuation order lifted for Eagle Mountain residents
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — An evacuation order was lifted Tuesday for residents of about 100 homes in Eagle Mountain as crews continued to battle the Pinyon Fire.
Residents of 56 homes in the North Ranch subdivision were under a mandatory evacuation order and were not allowed to spend the night in their homes. Those living in an additional 37 homes were under a voluntary evacuation order. All residents were allowed to return about 10 a.m. Tuesday, said fire information officer Kim Osborn.
An evaluation of the fire — including where it has burned, where it is projected to burn and the planned actions for the day — led to the decision.
The 3,000-acre Pinyon Fire was started by lightning on Sunday. Firefighters had been able to contain 35 percent of it as of Tuesday evening. A Type 3 Interagency Fire team assumed command of the fire Tuesday.
The fire was burning all on Camp Williams' property. But Eagle Mountain Fire Chief Rand Andrus said one of the concerns is what the weather would do as high temperatures arrived.
"The other thing we're famous for out here is the wind changes," he said.
Another concern for officials was the possibility of the fire finding unexploded munitions on Camp Williams property.
The only structures reported to have burned were three small buildings in a mock Afghan village and some power lines, according to the National Guard.
Fourteen people spent the night at an evacuation center at Rockwell High School, 3435 E. Stonebridge Lane. Large animals were being taken to Pony Express Rodeo Arena, 4447 Major St.
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 44
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- What you need to know about the effort... 15