High school football: Springville Red Devils 2012 preview
In order to compete well in Region 8, Springville will have to overcome some lack of size.
“We’re not a big team, but we feel we have some fast guys and a lot of good play-makers,” said Thorpe. “I love this team and it’s exactly the type of team I always wanted to finish out with as a senior.”
Springville Red Devils at a glance
Coach: This will be coach Willy Child’s first year as Springville’s football head coach. He’s been coaching at Springville for 18 years and has been the baseball head coach for the past 12 years.
(5 returning starters)
Springville will change some things up on offense and rely on the run, according to quarterback Payton Thorpe. It will be a two-back offense that will put the quarterback under center and in shotgun and will rely on senior playmakers.
“Coach (Doug) Bills obviously knows what he’s doing and I think we’ll have some good production on offense,” said Child. “I like our quarterback and I like our playmakers on that side of the ball.”
(4 returning starters)
There won't be any significant changes on defense with coach Child returning as the defensive coordinator. The key contributors will be defensive end Zach Hanson, middle linebacker Brandon Leslie and safety Jessie Noll.
"All three of those guys started for us last year as sophomores, so we're excited about the experience they now have," said Child. "We should be strong at key positions on defense as well and now we'll just look at younger guys to step up."
Coach's preseason Region 8 straw poll: Fifth
Deseret News Region 8 prediction: Sixth
Lack of size could be a big problem for the Red Devils as they look to regain their perch in Region 8. Last year was a rebuilding year, so 2012 should see a much more competitive team. It's going to be tough in region play, however, with each team also hoping to improve. Nevertheless, don't be surprised if Springville makes another run at the Region 8 title and sees success in the 4A playoffs.
Fri. Aug. 17 — at Dixie 7 p.m.
Fri. Aug. 24 — SPANISH FORK, 7 p.m.
Fri. Aug. 31 — JUAN DIEGO, 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 7 — at Maple Mountain 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 14 — at Timpanogos 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 21— OREM 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 28 — at Salem Hills 7 p.m.
Thu. Oct. 4 — PROVO 7 p.m.
Wed. Oct. 10 — at Timpview 7 p.m.
Wed. Oct. 17 — MOUNTAIN VIEW 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Springville High School
All-time record: 386-378-32 (95 years)
Region championships: 22 (1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1938, 1954, 1976 co, 1977 co, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 co, 1988 co, 1990, 1991 co, 1992, 1993 co, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2010)
Playoff appearances: 42
All-time playoff record: 22-41
State championships: 1 (1985)
State championship record: 1-3
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16