High school football: Springville Red Devils 2012 preview
In order to compete well in Region 8, Springville will have to overcome some lack of size.
“We’re not a big team, but we feel we have some fast guys and a lot of good play-makers,” said Thorpe. “I love this team and it’s exactly the type of team I always wanted to finish out with as a senior.”
Springville Red Devils at a glance
Coach: This will be coach Willy Child’s first year as Springville’s football head coach. He’s been coaching at Springville for 18 years and has been the baseball head coach for the past 12 years.
(5 returning starters)
Springville will change some things up on offense and rely on the run, according to quarterback Payton Thorpe. It will be a two-back offense that will put the quarterback under center and in shotgun and will rely on senior playmakers.
“Coach (Doug) Bills obviously knows what he’s doing and I think we’ll have some good production on offense,” said Child. “I like our quarterback and I like our playmakers on that side of the ball.”
(4 returning starters)
There won't be any significant changes on defense with coach Child returning as the defensive coordinator. The key contributors will be defensive end Zach Hanson, middle linebacker Brandon Leslie and safety Jessie Noll.
"All three of those guys started for us last year as sophomores, so we're excited about the experience they now have," said Child. "We should be strong at key positions on defense as well and now we'll just look at younger guys to step up."
Coach's preseason Region 8 straw poll: Fifth
Deseret News Region 8 prediction: Sixth
Lack of size could be a big problem for the Red Devils as they look to regain their perch in Region 8. Last year was a rebuilding year, so 2012 should see a much more competitive team. It's going to be tough in region play, however, with each team also hoping to improve. Nevertheless, don't be surprised if Springville makes another run at the Region 8 title and sees success in the 4A playoffs.
Fri. Aug. 17 — at Dixie 7 p.m.
Fri. Aug. 24 — SPANISH FORK, 7 p.m.
Fri. Aug. 31 — JUAN DIEGO, 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 7 — at Maple Mountain 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 14 — at Timpanogos 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 21— OREM 7 p.m.
Fri. Sept. 28 — at Salem Hills 7 p.m.
Thu. Oct. 4 — PROVO 7 p.m.
Wed. Oct. 10 — at Timpview 7 p.m.
Wed. Oct. 17 — MOUNTAIN VIEW 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Springville High School
All-time record: 386-378-32 (95 years)
Region championships: 22 (1922, 1926, 1929, 1933, 1938, 1954, 1976 co, 1977 co, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 co, 1988 co, 1990, 1991 co, 1992, 1993 co, 2001, 2004, 2009, 2010)
Playoff appearances: 42
All-time playoff record: 22-41
State championships: 1 (1985)
State championship record: 1-3
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah State denies David Collette's release,...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best shot...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 49
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 41
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35