Cluff wiped tears from her eyes, looked across the table at me and added, “God is good!”
I think it’s the first time I’d felt the Spirit over ham and turkey.
Our conversation turned to her family and Cluff attributed her strength to her parents. “They are wonderful,” she gushed. Cluff says she works with people everyday that spend so much time pretending to be other people that they don’t know who they are anymore. “But not me. My parents helped me know who I am.”
The praise doesn't end with her parents, she also credits her professors at SVU for preparing her for the rigors of the theater and to stand brightly for righteousness in the middle of the stage. It's telling that four years after her graduation, they continue to serve as indispensable mentors.
I'm thankful to have met this inspiring actress, but not for her talent. I'm grateful to know there are young people like Amaree Cluff taking courageous stands when it would be easy not to and using God-given gifts righteously when the world wouldn't care otherwise.
Her tearfully delivered words will not be forgotten: “I simply cannot say what I so deeply believe through any other medium.”
Can I find the courage to do the same?
Jason F. Wright is a New York Times best-selling author of eight books, including "Christmas Jars," "The Wednesday Letters" and "The Wedding Letters." He can be reached at email@example.com or www.jasonfwright.com.
- Funeral services for Sister Frances J. Monson...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Woman told she would never walk, talk defies...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Hundreds of teens in Southern California go...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Community of Christ recommends... 24
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 22
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 17
- LDS Church is smart to reach out to... 14
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 12
- LDS Meridian Idaho Temple artist's... 11
- Mormon Parenting: It takes a whole ward... 11