Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
LAYTON — Crews continued to work Sunday to contain a 47-acre fire burning in the foothills east of Layton.
By evening, the fire was 50 percent contained and no longer threatening homes, said Kathy Jo Pollock, spokeswoman for the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forests.
Crews estimate having the blaze fully contained by 10 p.m., though they'll likely be putting out hot spots until Tuesday, Pollock said.
A mandatory evacuation order for 20 homes in the Layton Ridge subdivision and nine homes along 3050 North was lifted at noon Sunday.
Crews worked overnight to prevent the fire from moving down the mountain in the direction of homes, Pollock said.
The Red Cross opened a temporary shelter at Northridge High School on Saturday night but closed it about 2 a.m. Sunday. All evacuated residents were able to find somewhere else to stay, officials said.
Crews secured the south flank of the fire in Hobbs Canyon overnight and contained the west end of the blaze Sunday morning, Pollock said. No homes are being threatened on the north and east sides of the fire, she said.
About 60 firefighters were battling the blaze Sunday, with support from one helicopter. Additional air support was ordered but then canceled following crews' success fighting the fire overnight.
Crews were helped by the lack of down-canyon winds overnight and Sunday morning. Officials were worried Saturday about the potential for winds fanning the flames down the mountain.
"We didn't get the down-canyon winds, which was good," Pollock said.
The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.
Fire officials are asking anyone with information about fire to call the Layton police at 801-497-8300.
Another fire is burning in the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest about 20 miles east of Spanish Fork.
The lightning-caused the Pumpkin Fire has burned roughly 176 acres. The fire is 30 percent contained, officials said.
The Sheep Creek campground and Tie Fork rest area are being used for fire operations and are closed to the public.
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns considering...
- Real Salt Lake proposes to pay for $18M...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 58
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 24
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 23
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18
- New prison site not expected to be... 16
- Former Utah Speaker of the House Becky... 15