Mormons around the country and a few across the pond continue to serve by donating blood, food, school supplies and their time .
A school supplies giveaway was held in Rio Grande Valley, Texas. The event was hosted by the LDS Church and Cameron-Willacy County Projects. The local news station reported that 9,000 backpacks filled with school supplies were given away, with people lining up for hours to receive them.
“We realize that this is a very small token,” said organizer Amayla Garza. “Parents go through it 24-7, 365 days a year. This is a small gesture on our part to get these kids ready to get themselves educated.”
In Davis, Calif., a blood drive was held at the local LDS meetinghouse and, according to the Daily Democrat, about 88 people came to donate blood. The blood drive was in response to a growing need, with the Red Cross reporting 50,000 fewer donations than expected in June.
Women in Santa Margarita, Calif., held a Humanitarian Night of Service that was reported on by the local newspaper, the Aliso Laguna News.
The night included collecting food and professional clothing, sewing diaper-changing pads and making quilts, all for different charitable organizations. More than 200 women attended, and the night was considered a great success.
In Westminster, Colo., the local LDS stake participated in Colorado Cares Day to help the Have-A-Heart organization provide food, clothing, school supplies and personal-hygiene items for needy students of the local school district.
“It’s been a nice experience working with other people,” said Larry Hickman, president of the Westminster Stake. “There is a lot of need in the state, and Colorado Care Day is a great way to help the community.”
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church...
- Partially paralyzed LDS runner completes...
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a dozen
- Polygamy essays provide information about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: The burden and...
- Polygamy essays provide information... 69
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Using faith... 19
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a... 18
- Defending the Faith: Doctrine and... 9
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church... 7
- LDS couple with triplets expecting... 6
- Wright Words: Are you an odd duck? 5
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses... 5