Mormons around the country and a few across the pond continue to serve by donating blood, food, school supplies and their time .
A school supplies giveaway was held in Rio Grande Valley, Texas. The event was hosted by the LDS Church and Cameron-Willacy County Projects. The local news station reported that 9,000 backpacks filled with school supplies were given away, with people lining up for hours to receive them.
“We realize that this is a very small token,” said organizer Amayla Garza. “Parents go through it 24-7, 365 days a year. This is a small gesture on our part to get these kids ready to get themselves educated.”
In Davis, Calif., a blood drive was held at the local LDS meetinghouse and, according to the Daily Democrat, about 88 people came to donate blood. The blood drive was in response to a growing need, with the Red Cross reporting 50,000 fewer donations than expected in June.
Women in Santa Margarita, Calif., held a Humanitarian Night of Service that was reported on by the local newspaper, the Aliso Laguna News.
The night included collecting food and professional clothing, sewing diaper-changing pads and making quilts, all for different charitable organizations. More than 200 women attended, and the night was considered a great success.
In Westminster, Colo., the local LDS stake participated in Colorado Cares Day to help the Have-A-Heart organization provide food, clothing, school supplies and personal-hygiene items for needy students of the local school district.
“It’s been a nice experience working with other people,” said Larry Hickman, president of the Westminster Stake. “There is a lot of need in the state, and Colorado Care Day is a great way to help the community.”
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides...
- Funeral services for Sister Frances J. Monson...
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Woman told she would never walk, talk defies...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Hundreds of teens in Southern California go...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Community of Christ recommends... 25
- Muslim leaders in U.S. facing... 23
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 17
- Supreme Court to weigh in on... 15
- Hundreds of teens in Southern... 12
- Mormon Parenting: It takes a whole ward... 11
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 9