The Titans are loaded at running back with Mason Woodward, Matt Kealamakia and Kavika Fonua carrying the ball, and Jacob Garver, Diante Mitchell, Landon O'Camb and the Mo'o brothers (Koa and Kiwa) give them a solid group of receivers. If Brock Anderson can step in and do the job at quarterback as expected and the offensive line can come together and do its job, Syracuse should be able to put plenty of points up on the scoreboard.
(5 returning starters; Base 4-3 defense)
Cardon Malan and Myles Naisbitt bring a mean streak to this side of the ball, and Kaden Craig, Braiden Tovey, O'Camb, Wyatt German, Kealamakia, Garver, Mitchell, Koa Mo'o and Fonua are being counted on to follow suit and give Syracuse another of its trademark tough defensive units like last year's, which allowed an average of just 10.6 points per game in the eight games the Titans won.
Coaches preseason Region 1 straw poll: First
Deseret News Region 1 prediction: First
Bottom line: If the Titans' skill players perform as expected and the defense does its job like it did last year, there's no reason to think Syracuse won't live up to lofty preseason expectations. The schedule doesn't do the Titans any favors, though, as they'll play the other top two teams in the preseason poll, Davis (Sept. 14) and Northridge (Sept. 28), both on the road. But Syracuse showed in last year's state playoffs that it's certainly capable of going on the road and winning in a tough environment.
Aug. 17 DESERT HILLS, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 at Skyline, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 RIVERTON, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 vs. Box Elder (at Weber State), 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 at Davis, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 LAYTON, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 at Northridge, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 FREMONT, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 at Weber, 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Syracuse High School
All-time record: 33-23 (5 years)
Region championships: 0
Playoff appearances: 4
All-time playoff record: 5-4
State championships: 0
State championship record: 0-0
Most played rivalry: 6 meetings with Fremont dating back to 2007. Fremont leads 4-2. Meet on Oct. 5.
Felt’s Factoid(s): Syracuse is one of just 11 schools to have a perfect playoff record on its home field (2-0).
Syracuse coaching history
2007-present — Russ Jones (33-23)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2011 — Corey Cook, OL,
2011 — Hunter Dimick, DL
2011 — Brock Anderson, K, Syracuse
2010 — Hunter Dimick DL
2009 — Josh Gooch, LB
2009 — Mitch Tulane, DB
2008 — T.J. Blickfeldt, DB
2008 — Josh Kealamakia, K
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 48
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 38
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37