The Titans are loaded at running back with Mason Woodward, Matt Kealamakia and Kavika Fonua carrying the ball, and Jacob Garver, Diante Mitchell, Landon O'Camb and the Mo'o brothers (Koa and Kiwa) give them a solid group of receivers. If Brock Anderson can step in and do the job at quarterback as expected and the offensive line can come together and do its job, Syracuse should be able to put plenty of points up on the scoreboard.
(5 returning starters; Base 4-3 defense)
Cardon Malan and Myles Naisbitt bring a mean streak to this side of the ball, and Kaden Craig, Braiden Tovey, O'Camb, Wyatt German, Kealamakia, Garver, Mitchell, Koa Mo'o and Fonua are being counted on to follow suit and give Syracuse another of its trademark tough defensive units like last year's, which allowed an average of just 10.6 points per game in the eight games the Titans won.
Coaches preseason Region 1 straw poll: First
Deseret News Region 1 prediction: First
Bottom line: If the Titans' skill players perform as expected and the defense does its job like it did last year, there's no reason to think Syracuse won't live up to lofty preseason expectations. The schedule doesn't do the Titans any favors, though, as they'll play the other top two teams in the preseason poll, Davis (Sept. 14) and Northridge (Sept. 28), both on the road. But Syracuse showed in last year's state playoffs that it's certainly capable of going on the road and winning in a tough environment.
Aug. 17 DESERT HILLS, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 at Skyline, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 RIVERTON, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 vs. Box Elder (at Weber State), 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 at Davis, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 LAYTON, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 at Northridge, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 FREMONT, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 at Weber, 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Syracuse High School
All-time record: 33-23 (5 years)
Region championships: 0
Playoff appearances: 4
All-time playoff record: 5-4
State championships: 0
State championship record: 0-0
Most played rivalry: 6 meetings with Fremont dating back to 2007. Fremont leads 4-2. Meet on Oct. 5.
Felt’s Factoid(s): Syracuse is one of just 11 schools to have a perfect playoff record on its home field (2-0).
Syracuse coaching history
2007-present — Russ Jones (33-23)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2011 — Corey Cook, OL,
2011 — Hunter Dimick, DL
2011 — Brock Anderson, K, Syracuse
2010 — Hunter Dimick DL
2009 — Josh Gooch, LB
2009 — Mitch Tulane, DB
2008 — T.J. Blickfeldt, DB
2008 — Josh Kealamakia, K
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Skyler Halford helps key BYU's late-season...
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school boys basketball: Pine View wins...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 84
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 79
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle... 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29