SALT LAKE CITY — Utah's newest and largest shopping center has filed a lawsuit against one of its food court tenants, seeking to evict the vendor and collect nearly $44,000 in past-due rent, taxes and fees.
City Creek Center filed a civil lawsuit against Big Sal's on Thursday in 3rd District Court, alleging that the specialty salad shop has violated the terms of its lease by failing to pay rent, taxes, maintenance and insurance costs and other fees.
On June 18, City Creek served notice on Big Sal's to pay all amounts owed under the lease or to vacate the premises. Because the tenant did neither, City Creek filed the eviction lawsuit, court documents state.
Big Sal's remained open in the food court as of Thursday afternoon. An employee who declined to provide her name said she wasn't aware of the pending eviction.
Attempts to reach the two men who signed the lease, Diego Favero and Ray Woolston, were unsuccessful Thursday.
City Creek Center general manager Linda Wardell said company policy prohibits her from commenting on pending litigation.
As of July 12, Big Sal's owes City Creek Center $43,625, according to the lawsuit. City Creek is requesting all past rents and fees, lost income caused by Big Sal's remaining in the food court in violation of the lease, as well as compensation for any physical damage to the property beyond normal wear and tear, the lawsuit states.
City Creek Center is one of three Big Sal's locations. The others are in Dallas and Massapequa, N.Y.
City Creek Center, a $1.5 billion mixed-use development of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the heart of downtown, opened in March. Taubman Inc. oversees the retail portion of the project.
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Plan to simplify 2015 health renewals may...
- Utah Transit Authority eyeing electric bus...
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 10
- Does getting married really increase... 8
- Sarah Palin launches online... 7
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- 3 ways you can save money on movie... 3