Stephen Simpson / Rex Features, Associated Press
The United States men's volleyball team beat Brazil on Thursday, leaving the Americans undefeated in the preliminary round.
They played four sets; Brazil won the first one and the United States won the next three.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne, who both played in Thursday's game. Both are also Brigham Young University alumni.
The teams are divided into two groups of six and play each team in their group. The top four from each group will go to the elimination brackets with a shot at a medal.
The U.S. team is in a group with Brazil, Russia, Serbia, Tunisia and Germany.
The Americans have won against Serbia, Germany and now Brazil. Their next matches are against Russia on Aug. 4 and Tunisia on Aug. 6.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who are competing Friday include swimmer Breeja Larson in the 4x100 medley relay and New Zealand's Hayley Palmer and Celeste Brown from the Cook Islands who will compete in the 50-meter freestyle.
Also, Patricia Taea of the Cook Islands is scheduled to run in the women's 100-meter sprint.
The Brazil women's soccer team, including Bruna Beatriz Benites Soares, is scheduled to play Japan in the first elimination round of the final eight.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad to...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 63
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad... 46
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 26
- Utahn, castaway Dawn Meehan reflects on... 15
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 15
- Community of Christ recommends... 14