LA VERKIN, Washington County — A 2-year-old La Verkin girl drowned in a creek behind her home Wednesday night in what police are calling a tragic accident.
Jada Harris was outside with her family doing yard work about 8 p.m. when the family took their eyes off of her momentarily and she was gone. Washington County sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said just a couple of minutes had passed from the time she went missing to when police were called.
Members of the sheriff's office, the swift water rescue team and other agencies participated in the search. The girl's body was found about two hours later in the La Verkin Creek, not too far from her home, Abbott said.
Investigators believe Jada wandered away from her house and may have taken a path that leads from the backyard to the creek, he said.
As of Thursday, he said there was no evidence of foul play nor neglect by the parents.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Historic Salt Lake building now home to...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Man dies in paragliding crash on Utah Lake
- Jury convicts San Juan County commissioner...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19