LA VERKIN, Washington County — A 2-year-old La Verkin girl drowned in a creek behind her home Wednesday night in what police are calling a tragic accident.
Jada Harris was outside with her family doing yard work about 8 p.m. when the family took their eyes off of her momentarily and she was gone. Washington County sheriff's detective Nate Abbott said just a couple of minutes had passed from the time she went missing to when police were called.
Members of the sheriff's office, the swift water rescue team and other agencies participated in the search. The girl's body was found about two hours later in the La Verkin Creek, not too far from her home, Abbott said.
Investigators believe Jada wandered away from her house and may have taken a path that leads from the backyard to the creek, he said.
As of Thursday, he said there was no evidence of foul play nor neglect by the parents.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9