Steve Baker, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — A map of the 45-mile Jordan River Parkway Trail is now available online and at recreation facilities throughout Salt Lake County.
The free map was designed and printed though a partnership between Salt Lake County, the National Park Service's Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance program and the Jordan River Commission.
"With this new map, people will have a great way to become physically more active and enjoy the outdoors in their communities along the river," said Jonathan B. Jarvis, National Park Service director.
The new map highlights trailheads, public transit areas, urban parks and conservation areas. It also has an educational component, identifying native plants and animals that can be seen along the trail and river.
"The map is the first of its kind," Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon said. "It shows how residents can connect to other trail systems in Davis and Utah counties. It provides opportunities for biking and walking along 76 miles of separated paved trails in three counties."
The National Parks Service also is coordinating with Gov. Gary Herbert's office to facilitate discussions among the remaining cities where gaps in the trail still exist. Those gaps total less than four miles.
Completion of these gaps and the availability of a parkway trail map will increase recreation access, improve physical activity opportunities and improve awareness of public transit, county recreation officials said.
Printed copies are available at the following locations while supplies last:
• Northwest Recreation Center, 1300 W. 300 North.
• Magna Recreation Center, 3270 S. 8400 West, Magna.
• Millcreek Community Center, 2266 Evergreen Ave., Suite 130.
• Dimple Dell Recreation Center, 10670 S. 1000 East, Sandy.
• Salt Lake County Parks and Recreation, 2001 S. State, No. S4800.
• Salt Lake County Parks Operations, 3383 S. 300 East.
• J.L. Sorenson Recreation Center, 5350 W. Main, Herriman.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Researchers: Patients have only themselves to...
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Love not attending Salt Lake City Rotary Club...
- Rock climber falls to his death at Zion...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 79
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 58
- Federal government extends same-sex... 37
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Housing recovery slowest since World... 12