Cabinet maker sent to prison for failing to deliver services
RIVERTON — A contractor was ordered to serve up to 15 years in prison for promising kitchen cabinets and collecting pre-payments on orders, but never following through with any of the work.
Steven Jay Sizemore, 31, pleaded guilty this week to five counts of communications fraud, three second-degree felonies and two third-degree felonies. He was sentenced to concurrent prison terms of one to 15 years for the second-degree felonies and zero to five years for the others
But since his arrest in June of last year, investigators discovered that Sizemore, who was free on bail, was still accepting money from at least seven victims and continuing his scam as late as this past May.
The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing counted 21 victims frauded out of $117,000 by Sizemore over three years starting in 2009, according to the Utah Attorney General's Office. Some families went without functioning kitchens for months and at least one family was forced to wash dishes in their bathtub, the Department of Commerce said in a prepared statement.
Sizemore, who was not a licensed contractor, advertised under his name and Backwoods Cabinetry on KSL.com and BuildWatch.com. During the time he was allegedly selling cabinets, he had filed for bankruptcy, the commerce department stated.
Sizemore was also ordered to pay restitution. He paid $5,000 at his sentencing hearing, court records indicate.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17