Mormons in the Olympics, Day 5: Beach volleyball, water polo, wrestling and a cycling crash
Jae C. Hong, Associated Press
The U.S. beach volleyball tandem of Mormon Jake Gibb and Sean Rosenthal won their match against Latvia's Aleksandrs Samoilovs and Ruslans Sorokins on Wednesday, leaving them 2-1 in the preliminary round.
Gibb, a native of Bountiful and a returned missionary, and Rosenthal are expected to move on to the elimination round with a shot at a medal.
The top teams from each of the six beach volleyball pools will advance to the elimination brackets, which start with a round of 16 on Aug. 3 and 4.
The last of the pool rounds are on Thursday, which is when the elimination bracket will be set.
Gibb and Rosenthal lost to a duo from Poland on Tuesday and won against a team from South Africa earlier in the week.
The pair were fifth in the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.
Other news from athletes who are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:
Arielle Martin crashed during a training run in California on Tuesday and is hospitalized with multiple injuries. She had skipped the opening ceremonies to continue to train before heading to London. Click her to read more.
The U.S. women's team tied Spain 9-9 in their preliminary match on Wednesday. Their last preliminary round match is Friday against China.
The roster includes Californian Tumua Anae, who is the backup goalkeeper.
Wednesday was weightlifter Sarah Robles' 24th birthday.
The U.S. men's volleyball team plays Brazil. Also, Argentina's Lucia Palermo will row in the women's single sculls in a semifinal heat to determine places 13 to 18.
One more Mormon Olympian:
Wrestling: Nathaniel Tu'amoheloa, 18, of the Mesepa International Ward, Pago Pago Samoa West Stake, will be competing in the men's 96 kg freestyle wrestling competition on Aug. 12.
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Hobby Lobby,...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 34
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 21
- After government topples crosses in... 16
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 16
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4