SALT LAKE CITY — A fourth person has been arrested in connection with the stabbing death of a man Tuesday morning.
Azerereth Yazzie, 22, was found in the street with multiple stab wounds near Main Street and 540 North about 1:30 a.m. Police were alerted to the incident after receiving an anonymous 911 call from an inactive cellphone. Yazzie later died at a local hospital.
Two brothers — Ammon, 21, and Adam Scott Carr, 26 — and a 17-year-old boy were arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail and juvenile detention for investigation of aggravated murder and obstruction of justice. Salt Lake police would not release the name of the teen who allegedly stomped on the victim's face, citing department policy.
Investigators also said Tuesday that they were looking for two females who were believed to be witnesses to the crime. Late Tuesday, detectives found both girls.
One of those girls, a 17-year-old, was arrested and booked into juvenile detention for investigation of evidence tampering. Police also declined to release her name. The other girl was not arrested.
Salt Lake police detective Dennis McGowan said the arrested girl was present during the homicide. A possible motive for the slaying was still not known Wednesday.
Yazzie reportedly got into a fight with the men prior to the stabbing, a Salt Lake County Jail report states.
Adam Karr "produced a knife and stabbed the victim several times," according to the report. He then gathered up bloody clothing and the alleged murder weapon, "concealed it at another location and fled the scene."
After Yazzie was stabbed, the 17-year-old boy "dragged the victim to a nearby alley and stomped on the victim's face," the report states. Police say he then tried to hide evidence by washing the blood off his clothes.
Officers found the teen after following a blood trail from where Yazzie was found to an apartment near 31 E. Girard Ave. (540 North). Inside, they found the 17-year-old.
Adam Karr was also arrested on a warrant for failing to appear in court on a charge of unlawful sexual activity of a minor. He had pleaded guilty to the charge in November 2011, but later withdrew his plea after he learned he would be placed on the sex offender registry, according to court records.
But on June 19, the next court hearing after withdrawing his guilty plea, Karr failed to show up for court and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- U. student government passes resolution... 66
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 45
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 19