Mormons in the 2012 Olympics, day 4: Soccer, swimming, rowing and volleyball
Jeff Roberson, Associated Press
The Brazilian women's soccer team, including Mormon midfielder Bruna Beatriz Benites Soares, has advanced to the elimination brackets and a shot at a medal.
The Brazilians had their first loss of the 2012 Olympics Games against the Great Britain team on Tuesday, losing 1-0.
The 12 women's soccer teams were divided into three pools of four teams and each team played each other. Brazil won its pool matches against New Zealand and Cameroon, but lost to Great Britain.
The top two teams from each bracket, along with the top two third-place teams, are headed for the eight spots in the quarterfinal brackets.
Brazil will play against Japan on Friday, Aug. 3.
Bruna, No. 14, played the first half of the match against the British women and also received a yellow card about 30 minutes into the evenly matched contest. The only goal of the game was scored in the first minute and a half.
Other updates for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints competing in the London Games:
Brigham Young University swimmer Andrew Rutherfurd placed fifth in his heat in the 100-meter freestyle on Tuesday and overall was 41st of 60 competitors.
The 23-year-old returned missionary swam for Bolivia as he has dual U.S. and Bolivia citizenship.
Lucia Palerma, of Argentina, ended up 18th in the women's single sculls after the quarterfinal on Tuesday. There were four quarterfinal heats and she was fifth in her heat of six women as they rowed in the 2,000-meter race at Eton Dorney.
She will race again on Thursday, Aug. 2, which will determine places 13 to 18.
The USA men's team won three sets against Germany on Tuesday, leaving the Americans undefeated in the Olympic preliminary round.
The team includes Mormon returned missionaries Russell Holmes, a middle blocker, and libero Rich Lambourne.
The teams are divided into two groups of six and play each team in their group. The top four from each group will go to the elimination brackets with a shot at a medal.
The USA team is in a group with Brazil, Russia, Serbia, Tunisia and Germany.
The Americans have won against Serbia and now Germany. Their next matches are against Brazil on Thursday, Aug. 2; Russia on Saturday, Aug. 4; and Tunisia on Monday, Aug. 6.
The USA women's water polo team, with goalkeeper Tumua Anae, is scheduled to play Spain and the USA beach volleyball tandem of Mormon Jake Gibb and Sean Rosenthal will play a preliminary round match against a team from Latvia.
Also, Wednesday is weightlifter Sarah Robles' 24 birthday. She will compete on Aug. 5.
Olympic swimmer Andrew Rutherfurd is competing for Bolivia during the 2012 London Games. Learn about his journey to the Olympics and his faith in God.
- 24 inspiring quotes from President Boyd K....
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 56
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,... 29
- Defending the Faith: Treasures in... 26
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders... 23
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 18
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16