HOLLADAY — A 35-year-old motorcyclist was in extremely critical condition Tuesday after colliding with a SUV that reportedly ran a red light.
The accident at the intersection of 900 East and Fort Union Boulevard happened just after 11 a.m. Witnesses say a 75-year-old man traveling north in a Ford Bronco drove through a stop light that had been red for a while, right into the path of a westbound bullet-bike, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The motorcycle rider, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition with a head injury, Hoyal said. The man was not wearing a helmet.
Traffic in the area was backed up for hours as crews investigated the accident. Hoyal said their investigation will be turned over to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to determine what, if any, charges should be filed.
There was no evidence Tuesday of intoxication or distracted driving, Hoyal said.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13