HOLLADAY — A 35-year-old motorcyclist was in extremely critical condition Tuesday after colliding with a SUV that reportedly ran a red light.
The accident at the intersection of 900 East and Fort Union Boulevard happened just after 11 a.m. Witnesses say a 75-year-old man traveling north in a Ford Bronco drove through a stop light that had been red for a while, right into the path of a westbound bullet-bike, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The motorcycle rider, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition with a head injury, Hoyal said. The man was not wearing a helmet.
Traffic in the area was backed up for hours as crews investigated the accident. Hoyal said their investigation will be turned over to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to determine what, if any, charges should be filed.
There was no evidence Tuesday of intoxication or distracted driving, Hoyal said.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14