HOLLADAY — A 35-year-old motorcyclist was in extremely critical condition Tuesday after colliding with a SUV that reportedly ran a red light.
The accident at the intersection of 900 East and Fort Union Boulevard happened just after 11 a.m. Witnesses say a 75-year-old man traveling north in a Ford Bronco drove through a stop light that had been red for a while, right into the path of a westbound bullet-bike, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The motorcycle rider, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition with a head injury, Hoyal said. The man was not wearing a helmet.
Traffic in the area was backed up for hours as crews investigated the accident. Hoyal said their investigation will be turned over to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to determine what, if any, charges should be filed.
There was no evidence Tuesday of intoxication or distracted driving, Hoyal said.
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Students test interactive experiences ahead...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14