HOLLADAY — A 35-year-old motorcyclist was in extremely critical condition Tuesday after colliding with a SUV that reportedly ran a red light.
The accident at the intersection of 900 East and Fort Union Boulevard happened just after 11 a.m. Witnesses say a 75-year-old man traveling north in a Ford Bronco drove through a stop light that had been red for a while, right into the path of a westbound bullet-bike, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The motorcycle rider, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition with a head injury, Hoyal said. The man was not wearing a helmet.
Traffic in the area was backed up for hours as crews investigated the accident. Hoyal said their investigation will be turned over to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to determine what, if any, charges should be filed.
There was no evidence Tuesday of intoxication or distracted driving, Hoyal said.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14