HOLLADAY — A 35-year-old motorcyclist was in extremely critical condition Tuesday after colliding with a SUV that reportedly ran a red light.
The accident at the intersection of 900 East and Fort Union Boulevard happened just after 11 a.m. Witnesses say a 75-year-old man traveling north in a Ford Bronco drove through a stop light that had been red for a while, right into the path of a westbound bullet-bike, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal.
The motorcycle rider, whose name was not immediately available, was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition with a head injury, Hoyal said. The man was not wearing a helmet.
Traffic in the area was backed up for hours as crews investigated the accident. Hoyal said their investigation will be turned over to the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to determine what, if any, charges should be filed.
There was no evidence Tuesday of intoxication or distracted driving, Hoyal said.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17