Laura Seitz, Deseret News
ANTELOPE ISLAND STATE PARK — This year’s seventh annual Antelope Island Stampede Festival will be held over Labor Day weekend, Friday, Aug. 31. to Sunday Sept. 2.
There will be a 12K/5K fun trail race, hot air balloons, professional kite flyers, BMX performances, fireworks, and musical performances.
Musical acts playing this year include Imagine: A Beatles Tribute Band, Red Rock Country, 66 & Main, Crossfire and Danny Weldon. There are also many events for the kids, including free kites to decorate and fly, a pie-eating contest, demonstrations and clinics, and a colored powder chalk fight.
All events are free after paying the $15 per car state park entrance fee. Attendees need to bring cash for food/goods from vendors. Check the event website for a schedule and updates at www.antelopeislandstampede.com.
As part of the festival, a 5K and a 12K trail race called the Syracuse Stampede will be held. It will take place Sept. 1, at 8 a.m. at White Rock Bay on Antelope Island.
Costs are $40 for the 12K (7.5 miles) and $25 for the 5K (3.1 miles) through Aug. 31 for those who pre-register. There is same-day registration, but the prices increase by $10 on the day of the event.
Price includes a T-shirt, entrance to the park and a goodie bag from area sponsors. This race will be professionally timed and cash prizes will be awarded to the winners in each category. Showers are available for those who want to stay on the island the rest of the day to take advantage of the other events. Runners can sign up for the race at www.runnercard.com/e/runner.Main?meet=4230 or in person at Syracuse City Hall, 1979 W. 1900 South.
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22