Cougars lead nation with 16 All-Academic Track & Field team members
NEW ORLEANS -- Sixteen Cougars were named to the men’s 2012 Division I All-Academic Track & Field team -- the most by any school in the country.
The All-Academic team, which was announced by the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA), is made up of student-athletes who have proven their academic and athletic prowess.
To qualify for the All-Academic team, a student-athlete must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.25. In addition, each student-athlete must have met either of the following athletic standards:
- Finished the regular season ranked in the national top 96 in an individual event or ranked in the national top 48 in a relay event (Indoor).
- Participated in any round of the NCAA Division I Championships.
In addition to the individual student-athlete honors, the BYU men’s track and field team was one of 85 teams to receive All-Academic team honors from the USTFCCCA. The Cougars also finished the 2011-12 season ranked No. 7 in the final Division I Program of the Year Standings.
For a list of BYU's 2012 All-Academic Track & Field student-athletes, click here.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 45
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25