Three talented vocalists will join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square on Friday, Aug. 17, to commemorate the 85th birthday of President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The commemorative concert will be held at the LDS Church’s downtown Conference Center, and will begin at 8 p.m.
Featured artists will be Tony-nominated singer-actress Rebecca Luker, Metropolitan Opera tenor Stanford Olsen and actor and recording artist Dallyn Vail Bayles.
“We are very pleased that these talented solo artists will be joining the choir to honor this great man,” said outgoing choir president Mac Christensen. “I happen to know the songs being performed will delight President Monson.”
The event will be hosted by pro football Hall of Famer Steve Young and TV news personality and author Jane Clayson Johnson.
According to Christensen, the program will look back at President Monson’s life, from his childhood to his stint in the Navy during World War II to his years of devoted church service, most recently as president of the LDS Church.
LDS officials indicate that all 21,000 tickets have already been distributed for the program, and standby tickets for those without tickets will not be issued. However, patrons are invited to stand by for last-minute seating. The standby line will form at the north gate on Temple Square prior to the event.
The program will also be shown at various LDS stake centers over the church’s satellite system on Saturday, Aug. 18. In addition, the performance will be rebroadcast on BYUtv on Saturday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m.; Sunday, Aug. 19, at 8 a.m.; and Monday, Aug. 20, at 3 a.m.
BYUtv International will broadcast the performance in Spanish and Portuguese on Saturday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., and on Sunday, Aug. 19, at 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
KBYU Eleven will air the program on Sunday, Aug. 19, at 7 a.m.
All times listed are Mountain Daylight Time.
- 24 inspiring quotes from President Boyd K....
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Healing underway in Greek Orthodox community
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 67
- Episcopal Church becomes third... 56
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Defending the Faith: Treasures in... 25
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders... 23
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 18
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,... 15