Three talented vocalists will join the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square on Friday, Aug. 17, to commemorate the 85th birthday of President Thomas S. Monson of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The commemorative concert will be held at the LDS Church’s downtown Conference Center, and will begin at 8 p.m.
Featured artists will be Tony-nominated singer-actress Rebecca Luker, Metropolitan Opera tenor Stanford Olsen and actor and recording artist Dallyn Vail Bayles.
“We are very pleased that these talented solo artists will be joining the choir to honor this great man,” said outgoing choir president Mac Christensen. “I happen to know the songs being performed will delight President Monson.”
The event will be hosted by pro football Hall of Famer Steve Young and TV news personality and author Jane Clayson Johnson.
According to Christensen, the program will look back at President Monson’s life, from his childhood to his stint in the Navy during World War II to his years of devoted church service, most recently as president of the LDS Church.
LDS officials indicate that all 21,000 tickets have already been distributed for the program, and standby tickets for those without tickets will not be issued. However, patrons are invited to stand by for last-minute seating. The standby line will form at the north gate on Temple Square prior to the event.
The program will also be shown at various LDS stake centers over the church’s satellite system on Saturday, Aug. 18. In addition, the performance will be rebroadcast on BYUtv on Saturday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m.; Sunday, Aug. 19, at 8 a.m.; and Monday, Aug. 20, at 3 a.m.
BYUtv International will broadcast the performance in Spanish and Portuguese on Saturday, Aug. 18, at 7 p.m., and on Sunday, Aug. 19, at 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
KBYU Eleven will air the program on Sunday, Aug. 19, at 7 a.m.
All times listed are Mountain Daylight Time.
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to replace...
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,...
- Convert, veteran attends LDS temple for the...
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and religion...
- 'Noah' receives disclaimer, may be banned in...
- Church History Symposium examines Mormonism's...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 68
- 'Cosmos' return puts science and... 27
- Local religious leaders urge support... 25
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces rare,... 25
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 25
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 24
- 'Noah' banned in three countries weeks... 20
- Ask Angela: I suffered from depression,... 18