“He’s going to help us a ton. He’s a tough kid. When he was a freshman, we were very impressed with him,” said Henrie.
Delta Rabbits at a glance
Coach: Russ Henrie, a Delta High graduate, is entering his eighth season as Delta’s head coach. He’s amassed a 56-27 record and led the Rabbits to the 3A quarterfinals all seven years, including a pair of semifinal appearances.
(4 returning starters; Inverted wishbone offense)
It’s going to take some time for the seven new starters to settle in, but when they do the Rabbits could have a pretty strong running game. Delta has some depth at fullback with Kale Leavitt, Kole Lyman and Danny Dutson, and the later two are bruising runners. Big things are expected of Ezra Seui at tailback, and whoever lands the starting quarterback job has big shoes to fill replacing three-year starter Colin Christensen.
(4 returning starters)
The same kids who are returning starters on offense are back on defense as well. McKay Shamo and Dallin Christensen will anchor the defensive line, while Seui is the lone returning starter and linebacker and Hunter Johnson is back at safety. Coach Henrie said he’d prefer not to start Johnson in the secondary if he’s also the quarterback, but he might not have a choice. Neither Lyman nor Dutson played much linebacker last year, but they’ll be asked to shore up the defense along with Seui.
Coaches preseason Region 12 straw poll: Second
Deseret News Region 12 prediction: Second
Bottom line: It’s human nature for coaches to worry, so it’s no surprise coach Henrie has his reservations about the upcoming season. The Rabbits may take their lumps in the preseason while the newcomers adjust, but once region play roles around you can bet the hard-nosed Delta kids will be right in the thick of things eying another region title.
Aug. 17 — at Manti, 7 p.m.
Aug. 24 — MILLARD, 7 p.m.
Aug. 31 — at Stansbury, 7 p.m.
Sept. 7 — at Park City, 7 p.m.
Sept. 14 — at Taylorsville, 7 p.m.
Sept. 21 — PAYSON, 7 p.m.
Sept. 28 — CARBON, 7 p.m.
Oct. 5 — at Spanish Fork, 7 p.m.
Oct. 12 — JUAB, 7 p.m.
Oct. 17 — at North Sanpete, 7 p.m.
Felt’s Facts for Delta High School
All-time record: 512-259-24 (89 years)
Region championships: 30 (1927, 1930 co, 1931, 1932 co, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1942, 1947 co, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1970 co, 1975, 1976 co, 1977, 1983 co, 1986, 1991 co, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2003 co, 2004 co, 2005 co, 2009 co, 2010, 2011)
Playoff appearances: 51
All-time playoff record: 63-42
State championships: 9 (1938, 1966, 1968, 1975, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1995, 2001)
State championship record: 9-3
Most played rivalry: 88 meetings with Millard dating back to 1926. Millard leads 47-37-4. Meet on Aug. 24.
Felt’s Factoid(s): Delta has made the state playoffs a state-record 37 straight years, every season since 1975.
Delta coaching history
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 67
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 61
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 41
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 38
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27