Sanpete Co. Sheriff
FOUNTAIN GREEN, Sanpete County — Heavy rain over the burn scar from the Wood Hollow Fire resulted in flash flooding in Sanpete and Juab counties, damaging two homes.
The National Weather Service issued a flash-flood warning for the area Monday afternoon. Just before 5 p.m., the Sanpete County Sheriff's Office said flood waters were subsiding.
At least two homes were damaged in the area between Fountain Green and the burn scar, located west of U.S. 89 between Birdseye and Mount Pleasant, officials said.
Last month's Wood Hollow Fire burned 47,000 acres and destroyed 160 structures — including 52 homes. Officials say the wind likely caused a power line to come too close to the top of another power pole, sparking a grass fire at its base.
The electrical ground wires had been removed by copper thieves, which eliminated the system's ability to properly dissipate the electrical current.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 23
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16