Sanpete Co. Sheriff
FOUNTAIN GREEN, Sanpete County — Heavy rain over the burn scar from the Wood Hollow Fire resulted in flash flooding in Sanpete and Juab counties, damaging two homes.
The National Weather Service issued a flash-flood warning for the area Monday afternoon. Just before 5 p.m., the Sanpete County Sheriff's Office said flood waters were subsiding.
At least two homes were damaged in the area between Fountain Green and the burn scar, located west of U.S. 89 between Birdseye and Mount Pleasant, officials said.
Last month's Wood Hollow Fire burned 47,000 acres and destroyed 160 structures — including 52 homes. Officials say the wind likely caused a power line to come too close to the top of another power pole, sparking a grass fire at its base.
The electrical ground wires had been removed by copper thieves, which eliminated the system's ability to properly dissipate the electrical current.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 42
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16