Hearing set for October in Ogden shooting death of police officer
Matthew Arden Hatfield, Matthew Arden Hatfield
OGDEN — A preliminary hearing has been scheduled in the case of Matthew David Stewart, 38, the man accused of opening fire on police officers in Ogden, killing one.
Monday a judge set a Halloween start date for the hearing, scheduled over three days in October and November. Stewart is facing a murder charge, seven counts of attempted aggravated murder, and a charge of production of a controlled substance in connection with a Jan. 4 shooting at his Ogden home.
A hearing on the evidence was originally scheduled to begin July 18, but was cancelled after Stewart required surgery. Defense attorneys had also asked that the hearing not be scheduled until they received ballistics reports.
Ogden police officer Jared Francom was killed and five other officers were also shot and injured during a melee at Stewart's Ogden home. The Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force showed up at Stewart's home to serve a search warrant after receiving information that Stewart was growing marijuana. After announcing their presence, they were able to clear the main floor and basement of the home before Stewart allegedly emerged and opened fire, killing Francom and injuring five other officers.
Stewart's family calls the incident a "tragic misunderstanding" and contends that the man believed he was being robbed and didn't hear the officers announce their presence.
- Hundreds search for missing Provo woman who...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Father raises awareness of congenital defect...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- About Utah: Big-time golf in little ol'...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 61
- Former Romney finance chairman courting... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 47
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 21
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 21
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant... 21
- Utah high school students unprepared... 16
- Poll: 'Undecided' tops Utah Republican... 15