Utah Utes football: Local LB prospect Uaea Masina commits to the U.
SANDY — Brighton’s Uaea Masina committed to Utah football coaches on Sunday evening. Masina is a 6-foot-4, 215-pound linebacker prospect who had offers from BYU, San Diego State and from Colorado, but rested on the Utes due to several factors.
Masina has been surrounded by the Utah football program for most of his life. His grandparents work for the university, and every immediate family member bleeds crimson.
“I liked other schools growing up, but Utah was always my favorite school and the one I cheered for the most,” said Masina. “When they offered me it was a great honor, and my family is very excited about my decision to commit to them.”
According to Masina, Utah had the best combination of the factors he was looking for in a school and in a football program. What may have been the deciding factor, however, is how he simply felt every time he visited the campus.
“Since the very first time I met with coaches and with the team I felt like I was at home — that I was already part of the team,” said Masina. “Every player and every coach would talk to me and treat me like I was their equal, and I loved that. Players like Trevor Reilly and others were guys I became real close with really fast. That’s probably the biggest reason why I committed, but it’s really because Utah had everything that I wanted.”
Playing in the Pac-12 and with it a guarantee of a stellar schedule year-in and year-out was another factor. "Utah will play some of the best teams in the country, so that's another big thing. I want to compete against the top teams in the nation, and I know Utah will do well against them," said Masina.
Masina will play at either inside or outside linebacker at Utah but could grow into a defensive end with his 6-foot-4 frame. Wherever coaches ultimately choose to play him is OK by Masina.
“I’ll do whatever coaches want me to do because I completely trust them,” said Masina. “I love every coach there, and I know that they’ll do whatever is best for me. It’s a great defense, and it’s a huge honor to be part of that defense and part of the Utah program.”
Utah now has 11 commits for the 2013 signing class.
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz notes: Trey Lyles still not with team...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 105
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 103
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 32
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 24