Brenda Stanley: My slow-cooker Mexican Chicken dish is both tasty and convenient
There is nothing worse than coming home after a long day at work and then staring at the fridge or pantry and wondering what you can make in less than an hour that your family will actually eat. Why not make the evening easy by doing a few simple things before you head out the door in the morning?
This Mexican Chicken recipe is so flavorful and delicious, yet so simple. I love coming home and smelling the wonderful combination of spices, chicken and a thick, rich sauce. It is a recipe that tastes like you’ve been working at it all day when in reality you’ve been at work and it’s been cooking along without you.
The chicken can be used as a filling for tacos, burritos or enchiladas, or it can be served over rice. It could even be put open face on hamburger buns. The chicken is so tender it shreds with a fork and it’s smothered in a sweet-and-spicy sauce that can also be used over the enchiladas for a “smothered” dish.
Belle’s Mexican Chicken
4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1- 20-ounce can of enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup water
Mix together the enchilada sauce, brown sugar and water. Pour into slow cooker. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred chicken with a fork while still in the slow cooker. Serve in tortillas with any of your favorite fixings, over rice or however you like.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of
twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and
novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Utah mom inspires braid for Prim in 'Hunger...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Our marriage has eroded, and I'm glad it has
- A mother's voice: Remembering Emilie a year...
- Blogger Stephanie Nielson says family was her...
- Carrie Underwood responds with prayers to her...
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing you...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 14
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Food Storage Essentials: What about... 3
- Ogden man rings Salvation Army bell as... 3