Elder Steven E. Snow of the First Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been appointed to the President's Advisory Council on Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships, according to a press release issued Thursday by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.
The Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships website indicates that it exists to form "partnerships between government at all levels and nonprofit organizations, both secular and faith-based, to more effectively serve Americans in need."
Daniel Burke of the Religion News Service says Elder Snow is the first Latter-day Saint ever appointed to this faith-based council. Burke's story also includes a full listing of the others being appointed to the council.
"The faith-based office is made up of leaders of religions from across our great country, and Elder Snow's appointment ensures that the LDS faith will have a seat at the table," Sen. Hatch said in the release. "Elder Snow has provided dedicated service to the (LDS) Church and I know he will serve as a valuable member of the President's Advisory Council."
Elder Snow has been a general authority of the LDS Church since 2001. He currently serves as LDS Church historian and recorder and as executive director of the Church History Department. Prior to his call to full-time church service he was an attorney and served as president of his local school board, as chairman of the Utah State Board of Regents and as chairman of the Western States Commission of Higher Education.
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- 'Amazed by Grace' by Sheri Dew explores...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 148
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 61
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 11