Elder Steven E. Snow of the First Quorum of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been appointed to the President's Advisory Council on Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships, according to a press release issued Thursday by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.
The Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships website indicates that it exists to form "partnerships between government at all levels and nonprofit organizations, both secular and faith-based, to more effectively serve Americans in need."
Daniel Burke of the Religion News Service says Elder Snow is the first Latter-day Saint ever appointed to this faith-based council. Burke's story also includes a full listing of the others being appointed to the council.
"The faith-based office is made up of leaders of religions from across our great country, and Elder Snow's appointment ensures that the LDS faith will have a seat at the table," Sen. Hatch said in the release. "Elder Snow has provided dedicated service to the (LDS) Church and I know he will serve as a valuable member of the President's Advisory Council."
Elder Snow has been a general authority of the LDS Church since 2001. He currently serves as LDS Church historian and recorder and as executive director of the Church History Department. Prior to his call to full-time church service he was an attorney and served as president of his local school board, as chairman of the Utah State Board of Regents and as chairman of the Western States Commission of Higher Education.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Watch a video tribute to Sister Frances B....
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad to...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 63
- Wright Words: An open letter from a dad... 46
- New Harmony: The mainstreaming of... 45
- Elder Oaks promotes strengthening the... 26
- Utahn, castaway Dawn Meehan reflects on... 15
- Hundreds watch as Angel Moroni statue... 15
- Community of Christ recommends... 14