Mormon Messages for Youth
Mormon Messages: Right in time for the 2012 London Summer Olympics beginning today, this new Mormon Messages for Youth spotlights sports and why we should “Stay within the Lines.” It’s full of powerful counsel from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve, speaking “as a coach, when the game is on the line and victory is on the line.” Wow. Click in and then share.
British baptisms: And speaking of cool things happening in the United Kingdom, did you know that this year marks the “175th anniversary of the of the Mormon (LDS) baptisms in the UK”? Learn about the history of the presence of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the United Kingdom, how it began with a literal race to be baptized: “Filmed on location in Preston on July 7, 2012, this video follows the arrival of Heber C. Kimball and six other missionaries to Liverpool Docks on July 26, 1837, their trip to Preston, the first sermons delivered in Vauxhall chapel and the foot race that resulted in George D. Watts being the first Mormon baptism in the United Kingdom.” So awesome. Check out how the British Saints today revel in their Mormon history.
Performance tips: LDS singer Mindy Gledhill provides a mini-class via her blog on “Preparing to Perform 101.” Her six tips are all great, but here are a few as examples: “1. Harness your energy. Merely observe the fact that you are having nervous feelings and let it be OK, knowing that you can use that energy in a positive way on stage.” And “3. When on stage, thou shalt not think. Trust your muscle memory, and just let go. When you can master this, it will feel amazing and any slip-ups that happen become endearing to your audience because when you are relaxed, they are relaxed.” Click in to see them all!
Music workshop: Speaking of teaching music, this bunch of senior missionaries in the Cauayan Philippines Mission are going around the mission providing a free music workshop to anyone interested. Classes include “Beginning Choristing, Choir Directing, Primary Music, Music Kit (where they make all kinds of instruments and music teaching aides to take home), FHE Music Fun.” What a fun idea! Check out all the accompanying photos.
Today in the Bloggernacle: Sports analogies, British history and teaching music
Just as athletes must stay within lines to compete in sports, those who are called to labor in the Lord's work must stay within the lines of worthiness. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland charges young men to be active and worthy to serve as missionaries in this Mormon Messages for Youth video.
Emily W. Jensen updates "Today in the Bloggernacle" on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, presenting the best from the world of LDS-oriented blog sites. Her extended "Bloggernacle Back Bench" appears on Tuesdays. Email: email@example.com
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on past...
- LDS Church releases video about suicide...
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 111
- LDS Church publishes two new essays on... 41
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 34
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 28
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 14
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 10