WEST VALLEY CITY — A man who police say had two pipe bombs in his car has been charged by the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office.
But there was still no word Thursday what Michael Owens, 30, intended to do with the items seized by police, including two pipe bombs, a ski mask, .40-caliber ammunition, a military bullet-proof vest and other camouflage clothing, according to court documents.
Owens was charged this week in 3rd District Court with two counts of possession of an explosive device, a second-degree felony.
On July 17, a tow truck was in the process of repossessing Owens' vehicle when he asked if he could get some of his possessions out of the car, the charges state. As Owens started putting items inside a backpack, he allegedly became "combative" with the tow truck driver who decided to drive away with the backpack still inside the car.
Later, when the tow truck driver took inventory of the impounded vehicle, he found the pipe bombs and called police. The Salt Lake bomb squad was called to handle the situation.
Later, West Valley police served a search warrant at Owens' residence, 5137 W. Pavant Ave., and found items related to the investigation, according to a police report.
An initial court appearance for Owens is scheduled for Friday.
In 2001, Owens pleaded guilty to two counts of felony burglary of a building in exchange for other charges being dismissed. He was sentenced to six months in the Davis County Jail. That same year, he was sentenced to 60 days in the Salt Lake County Jail after pleading guilty to theft, a charge that was reduced from a second-degree felony to a class A misdemeanor, according to Utah court records.
In 2006, Owens was convicted of misdemeanor assault.
In October, Owens' wife filed for a protective order against him. Two months later, he was found guilty in violating that protective order. She later filed for divorce in March.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on getting...
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake Methodist...
- Drunk driver crashes through West Valley...
- 'Delusions' make condemned killer Ron...
- Ute Tribe sues Wasatch County over...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 108
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 28
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in... 15
- Former Attorney General John Swallow... 13