WEST VALLEY CITY — A man who police say had two pipe bombs in his car has been charged by the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office.
But there was still no word Thursday what Michael Owens, 30, intended to do with the items seized by police, including two pipe bombs, a ski mask, .40-caliber ammunition, a military bullet-proof vest and other camouflage clothing, according to court documents.
Owens was charged this week in 3rd District Court with two counts of possession of an explosive device, a second-degree felony.
On July 17, a tow truck was in the process of repossessing Owens' vehicle when he asked if he could get some of his possessions out of the car, the charges state. As Owens started putting items inside a backpack, he allegedly became "combative" with the tow truck driver who decided to drive away with the backpack still inside the car.
Later, when the tow truck driver took inventory of the impounded vehicle, he found the pipe bombs and called police. The Salt Lake bomb squad was called to handle the situation.
Later, West Valley police served a search warrant at Owens' residence, 5137 W. Pavant Ave., and found items related to the investigation, according to a police report.
An initial court appearance for Owens is scheduled for Friday.
In 2001, Owens pleaded guilty to two counts of felony burglary of a building in exchange for other charges being dismissed. He was sentenced to six months in the Davis County Jail. That same year, he was sentenced to 60 days in the Salt Lake County Jail after pleading guilty to theft, a charge that was reduced from a second-degree felony to a class A misdemeanor, according to Utah court records.
In 2006, Owens was convicted of misdemeanor assault.
In October, Owens' wife filed for a protective order against him. Two months later, he was found guilty in violating that protective order. She later filed for divorce in March.
- Letters to family show Steven Powell still...
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Police locate West Point teen called 'person...
- West Point honors student arrested in deaths...
- Chaffetz not willing to take impeachment off...
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Chaffetz not willing to take... 51
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 33
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 32
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 24
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21