Romney and the Olympics: What the Salt Lake Games say about a Mitt Romney presidency (+video)
There were few instances that Eynon ever recalled Romney losing his temper, including his well-publicized exchange with a volunteer over a traffic snarl in a venue parking lot that may or may not have included some objectionable language.
For the most part, Eynon said, Romney had the "Kennedyesque" looks of a leader, but his reality was more like the classmate who sat "in the front row with pens in his pocket."
Romney, he said, confided that he "envisions himself as James Bond," often asking himself in situations what the fictional British spy would do. "I think that's about being cool under pressure," Eynon said, "being suave and debonair."
New details about the preparations for Salt Lake's Olympics are expected to surface sometime in August, when the University of Utah's Marriott Library makes available some 1,100 cartons of files from SLOC.
But manuscript archivist Elizabeth Rogers said anyone looking for dirt on Romney will be disappointed. Rogers said the files, set aside for years for higher priority projects until the 2012 election heated up, focus on the nuts and bolts of putting on an Olympics.
"You want to learn the mechanics of running an Olympics, this collection will be a gold mine. If someone wants to find juicy details of what went on behind closed doors, we don't have it," she said. "There's just nothing negative."
Editor's note: First in a two-part series looking at GOP presidential campaign Mitt Romney's Olympic legacy in Utah.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- As winter takes hold, needs increase for...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19