SALT LAKE CITY — Beacon Heights Elementary School has been awarded $5,000 from Kennecott Utah Copper for its teacher-created video "Science Plants the Seeds," the Salt Lake City School District announced Wednesday.
The video was the winner of Kennecott's 2012 Sustainable Development Community Video Contest, which showcased the efforts of Kennecott's community partners to promote sustainability within their organizations.
According to the school district, the award money will supplement the school's "Sci-X" science program and will be used to create core-based lesson plans accessible to Utah elementary educators.
The Sci-X program was created by Beacon Heights teacher Emily Mortensen and parent volunteer Chris Cochella, the district said. It provides monthly hands-on science experiences to add to classroom instruction. In 2011, Kennecott partnered with Sci-X to create a web-based science curriculum available to all Utah elementary science teachers through the Utah Education Network.
“No science textbook exists for Utah elementary classrooms," Mortensen said in a prepared statement. "Utah’s youngest students deserve consistent, experiential science education. We can’t expect a child to feel confident in science in junior high and high school if not provided with consistent science education in early years."
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- Utah among states with greatest urban sprawl
- Vegas’ water drying up
- 'Modern Family' dad opens beer restaurant in...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 58
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 44
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- U. student government passes resolution... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17