46-year-old man in custody accused of ramming police vehicle, injuring police officers
OGDEN — Ogden police arrested a man Tuesday after he allegedly rammed a police vehicle and prompted one officer to fire his weapon and others to sustain injuries.
Officers were notified about a suspect driving a stolen vehicle on 12th Street near 1900 West around 3 p.m., Ogden Police Lt. Tony Fox said. The vehicle was identified while parked at an area restaurant.
An officer drove out and located the vehicle, initiating a turn to follow it. Fox said the suspect vehicle then made a U-turn, prompting the police officer to make a similar turn to maintain his pursuit.
"The suspect slammed on his brakes, deliberately causing a collision and putting the officer's vehicle out of commission," Fox said.
The suspect then fled the area. Fox said the officer in the vehicle that was hit was not injured.
Police responded and began to search for the suspect. One officer was walking north on a service road along some railroad tracks near 600 West and 17th Street when he encountered the suspect.
"The suspect came out of some trees, squared up with the officer in a shooting stance and the officer fired several rounds at the suspect," Fox said. "He did not strike the suspect."
Other police officers responded to the area and a brief struggle ensued, leaving some of the arresting officers with shoulder and arm injuries, Fox said. The suspect was then taken into custody.
Investigators with the Weber County Attorney's Office and Ogden Police arrived to investigate the incident. Fox said the police officer who fired his weapon will be placed on administrative leave until both agencies complete their investigation.
"It's a use of force," Fox said. "We want to make sure we have a thorough investigation."
Kenneth Mobley, 46, was booked into the Weber County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault, criminal mischief, evading, assault on a police officer and interfering with an arrest in connection with the incident.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8