Thousands gather downtown for Utah's longest running parade
The crowd and the Pitcher family exploded with cheer when they saw the Days of '47 Sweepstakes Award winning float, the No. 51 Polynesian Culture Center float who were celebrating the Pioneers of the Pacific.
The float featured indigenously dressed Polynesian's in a tropical float with palm tress and dancers surrounding the float.
"That is awesome! look at that," Pitcher said when he saw the Polynesian culture float. "It doesn't get better than that."
As the music blasted through the speakers on the float, Pitcher felt on top of the world.
"Our slogan (in Utah) is life elevated," he said. "It is good to be king, where else do you get that?"
Brent Pitcher's wife, Mary, considers her husband a parade aficionado, but Brent also came to the parade to celebrate the heritage of the pioneers.
"I don't care who you are, you have that pioneer spirit in you, somebody, somewhere has a story about how you got here," he said. "It is those stories that we enjoy on a day like this. It doesn't have to be cowboys, we all have stories that have a heritage and this is just a way to celebrate heritage."
Float parade winners were announced Tuesday morning.
Days of '47 Sweepstakes Award: No.51 Polynesian Culture Center
Theme Award: No.23 Salt Lake Stake
Outstanding Animation Award: No.90 Herriman UT West Stake
Ensign Award: No.106 Fort Herriman UT Stake
People's Choice Award: No.37 Salt Lake Parley's Stake
Children's Choice Award: No.37 Salt Lake Parley's Stake
President's Award: No.51 Polynesian Culture Center
Queen's Award: No.95 Walmart/PMC
Mayor's Award: No.62 University of Utah
Community Award: No.24 BYU
Brigham Young Award: No.59 Murray City
Governor Award: No.84 City of Taylorsville
Spirit of Faith Award: No.101 S Jordan UT Daybreak
Legacy Award: No.99 Farmington UT North Stake
Utah Award: No.50 Midvale Ut East Stake
Daughters of Utah Pioneers Award: No.41 SL Winder Stake
Pioneers Award: No.89 Taylorsville Utah North Stake
Hilda Erickson Award: No.97 Herriman Ut South Stake
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 10