My ego has been prepared for such things. I was discovered once myself. I was a student at BYU and my hair had grown just a little longer than was allowed there. Someone picked me out of a crowd and asked me to go to a photo shoot they were doing in the building. They said I would be perfect for the role they needed me to play.
I wasn't overweight back then and yet I wasn't often mistaken for a model either. I was quite flattered. It turned out they were taking pictures for an EMT manual and they wanted to have a photo page demonstrating how to tie up and gag a dangerous, mentally imbalanced, verbally combative person. They tied me up and gagged me as a photographer took pictures. All I had to do was "act naturally," as Ringo Starr would say.
Another thing I like about Sarah is that she has never once suggested I be gagged and tied up. She even let me interview her once. She was so kind and respectful. (Did you ever see Chris Farley interview Paul McCartney on Saturday Night Live? I was Chris. She was Paul.)
To be completely truthful, Sarah has already been discovered by a few other people. Russ Dixon, who is an amazing photographer and a singer in the band Colors, discovered her, too. He helped her get her first CD, "Just Another Day," recorded.
But I'm the first person who writes columns that upset, trouble and confuse people, who has discovered her. And I want that on the record.
When I met Jackson Browne he asked me to tour with him. Not in a direct way. His exact words were, "Thanks for coming to the concert. It was nice to meet you." But the between-the-lines message was clear: "I would die to make music with you, dude! I can't believe you weren't one of the Beatles." I waited for him to call, but he never did. I wonder if he had a friend who was an EMT.
That's all beside the point. Someone has already discovered Jackson Browne. I'm here to say that Sarah Olsen is the best female singer, songwriter in Cache Valley, maybe even Utah — possibly the universe. I want credit for discovering her. And unless you are an EMT who knows how to tie up and gag a verbally combative person, I think you should just let me have my opinion.
You'll discover it's for the best.
Sarah Olsen will be performing at a free concert at the Farmer's Market in Logan on Aug. 18 at 11 a.m. You can learn more about her music and the concert by going to saraholsenmusic.com.
Steve Eaton lives and works in Logan, Utah. He can be reached at Eatonnews@gmail.com.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What parents...
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- The complicated relationship between God and rap
- Theater review: PTC's 'Spelling Bee' buzzes...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 15
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1
- Miss America: More to worry about than... 1
- When it comes to TV's future,... 1