ESCALANTE, Garfield County — A 24-year-old Wayne County man and his dog were killed after being struck by lightning while on a fishing trip over the weekend.
Jesse King, 24, of Bicknell, and his dog were at Row Lake on the west side of Boulder Mountain about 7 p.m. Saturday when a storm rolled through the region, according to the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.
King and his dog took shelter under a nearby tree. They were both killed instantly when lightning hit the tree, the sheriff's office said. King's wife, who was at their campsite nearby, found his body.
"King did everything possible to try to keep himself and his dog safe, and there was nothing that could have been done to prevent their death," said sheriff's deputy Ray Gardner.
He is survived by his wife, Maddy Rowland King.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26