SALT LAKE CITY — Their 7-month-old died accidentally while in foster care nearly two years ago, now they are suing the state, demanding $300,000 in damages.
The suit filed last week against the Utah Division of Child and Family Services was filed by Estella Chandler and Michael Jensen, who never had custody of baby Lailla. She was born March 22, 2010, and taken into state custody on April 1.
On Oct. 21, 2010, Lailla was placed in a daybed for a nap by Suzanne ReKow, the Spanish Fork foster parent who had been caring for the infant since birth. According to the police report, she then went outside to do some yard work. When she came back 30-40 minutes later to check on Lailla, she found the infant wedged between the rail and the mattress. She was rushed to the hospital, but died the following day.
"The loving parents of Lailla have suffered and are still suffering from the tragic loss of their baby girl in the fall of 2010," attorney Neil Skouson said.
The Utah State Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the death an accident and cause of death was asphyxia due to wedging.
No criminal charges were filed, but Skouson said the parents want to send a message. "Recognizing that Lailla cannot be brought back to life, (they) are pursuing this court action to ensure Utah DCFS is held accountable," he said.
The government failed to protect Lailla and failed to prevent her death, Skouson said. “The state is liable for its actions in the loss of a precious life,” he said.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 90
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 78
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 14