MAGNA — Salt Lake County Youth Services will be opening two new after-school programs and a Community Learning Center in Magna beginning in the fall of 2012.
Youth Services recently received a five-year 21st Century Community Learning Center grant to fund the new programs at Cyprus High School and Pleasant Green Elementary School. It will also enhance Youth Services programs already hosted at Brockbank Elementary School and Matheson Junior High.
Magna Elementary will also be opening a new after-school program at the beginning of the school year with a grant from Salt Lake County Division of Community Resources and Development and supplemental funding from the 21st Century grant.
The new program, Magna United, is a collective impact model aiming to help youth improve grades, decrease behavioral issues at school, and increase parent and community involvement in education.
The grant will fund a Community Learning Center at Magna Elementary with parenting and ESL classes for parents attending any of the five participating schools. Limited child care and health care will also be provided. After-school programming will also begin this fall with soccer, arts and music classes, and tutoring with an emphasis on math and reading.
The Magna United program is a partnership with Salt Lake County and Granite School District. The grant is $235,000 for the first three years, with funding then decreasing by 25 percent and 50 percent over the next two years.
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Man charged with killing baby in Ogden... 8
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8