MAGNA — Salt Lake County Youth Services will be opening two new after-school programs and a Community Learning Center in Magna beginning in the fall of 2012.
Youth Services recently received a five-year 21st Century Community Learning Center grant to fund the new programs at Cyprus High School and Pleasant Green Elementary School. It will also enhance Youth Services programs already hosted at Brockbank Elementary School and Matheson Junior High.
Magna Elementary will also be opening a new after-school program at the beginning of the school year with a grant from Salt Lake County Division of Community Resources and Development and supplemental funding from the 21st Century grant.
The new program, Magna United, is a collective impact model aiming to help youth improve grades, decrease behavioral issues at school, and increase parent and community involvement in education.
The grant will fund a Community Learning Center at Magna Elementary with parenting and ESL classes for parents attending any of the five participating schools. Limited child care and health care will also be provided. After-school programming will also begin this fall with soccer, arts and music classes, and tutoring with an emphasis on math and reading.
The Magna United program is a partnership with Salt Lake County and Granite School District. The grant is $235,000 for the first three years, with funding then decreasing by 25 percent and 50 percent over the next two years.
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- BYU's first physics grad earns posthumous Grammy
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11