MAGNA — Salt Lake County Youth Services will be opening two new after-school programs and a Community Learning Center in Magna beginning in the fall of 2012.
Youth Services recently received a five-year 21st Century Community Learning Center grant to fund the new programs at Cyprus High School and Pleasant Green Elementary School. It will also enhance Youth Services programs already hosted at Brockbank Elementary School and Matheson Junior High.
Magna Elementary will also be opening a new after-school program at the beginning of the school year with a grant from Salt Lake County Division of Community Resources and Development and supplemental funding from the 21st Century grant.
The new program, Magna United, is a collective impact model aiming to help youth improve grades, decrease behavioral issues at school, and increase parent and community involvement in education.
The grant will fund a Community Learning Center at Magna Elementary with parenting and ESL classes for parents attending any of the five participating schools. Limited child care and health care will also be provided. After-school programming will also begin this fall with soccer, arts and music classes, and tutoring with an emphasis on math and reading.
The Magna United program is a partnership with Salt Lake County and Granite School District. The grant is $235,000 for the first three years, with funding then decreasing by 25 percent and 50 percent over the next two years.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- World War II munitions with mustard agent...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 29
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14