Despite new signal, man struck in same crosswalk where 6-year-old was killed
SALT LAKE CITY — A 56-year old man remained hospitalized Saturday after he was struck Friday night by a car while crossing the State Street at 1500 South — the same place where a 6-year-old girl was killed in March.
The man, whose name has not been released, was crossing the intersection at 11:27 p.m. when a southbound car driven by a 54-year old man struck him, said Salt Lake Police Lt. Josh Scharman.
"Our initial understanding is that he was walking against the red light," Scharman said.
The driver stayed at the scene while the victim was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. His condition has since been upgraded, police said.
Six-year-old Ambrosia Amalatitoda was struck and killed and her mother was critically injured in the same intersection last March. A new traffic signal was later installed at the location, but residents and local business owners still have concerns about the crosswalk.
"A couple of the city lights have gone down (and) are out. Maybe if those were on then they would help and make is easier to see people," said Cherish Erekson, a bartender at nearby Piper Down.
Laura Martinez, who works at Mezquite Mexican Grill across the street, expressed similar concerns.
"We perhaps need more light," she said in Spanish. "It gets dark here (the intersection) at night."
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Myton police chief on leave amid stalking...
- NAACP talks training, transparency and use of...
- 15-year-old rescued by medical crews after...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Police release names of officers... 28
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Saratoga Springs police chief calls... 18
- Lawmakers, critics debate... 16
- Groups appeal decision in Utah nuclear... 12
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence... 10
- Police: Panhandler pulls woman from car... 9