Despite new signal, man struck in same crosswalk where 6-year-old was killed
SALT LAKE CITY — A 56-year old man remained hospitalized Saturday after he was struck Friday night by a car while crossing the State Street at 1500 South — the same place where a 6-year-old girl was killed in March.
The man, whose name has not been released, was crossing the intersection at 11:27 p.m. when a southbound car driven by a 54-year old man struck him, said Salt Lake Police Lt. Josh Scharman.
"Our initial understanding is that he was walking against the red light," Scharman said.
The driver stayed at the scene while the victim was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. His condition has since been upgraded, police said.
Six-year-old Ambrosia Amalatitoda was struck and killed and her mother was critically injured in the same intersection last March. A new traffic signal was later installed at the location, but residents and local business owners still have concerns about the crosswalk.
"A couple of the city lights have gone down (and) are out. Maybe if those were on then they would help and make is easier to see people," said Cherish Erekson, a bartender at nearby Piper Down.
Laura Martinez, who works at Mezquite Mexican Grill across the street, expressed similar concerns.
"We perhaps need more light," she said in Spanish. "It gets dark here (the intersection) at night."
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- Missing 89-year-old elk hunter found
- Charges filed against Clinton man accused of...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Federal prosecutors argue against new trial...
- Five arrested in alleged California-to-Utah...
- Charges: Layton man told ex-girlfriend...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Inmate charged with sending threatening... 13
- Police arrest man who posed as Mormon... 12
- Police seek alleged drug money from... 10
- City wants judge to force Susan Hunt to... 9
- Key witness in criminal cases against... 8
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor... 7
- Judge sends ex-bus driver to prison for... 5