USU basketball: men's basketball announces two-year series with Utah
Utah State men's basketball will face Utah in a two-year series beginning in 2014-15 in Salt Lake City, while playing in Logan in 2015-16, both schools announced Friday.
"We are excited about renewing the series with Utah and look forward to the competition," said USU men's basketball head coach Stew Morrill.
USU and Utah have met 223 times, the second-oldest rivalry in both the Aggies and Utes' histories, both trailing their respective series with Brigham Young. While Utah holds a 129-94 series advantage, Utah State has won eight of the last 13 games played in the series, including the last meeting on Nov. 24, 2010. USU's 79-62 win in that match-up in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum is part of USU's 60-50 advantage in games played in Logan. The Aggies have won the last seven meetings in Logan.
“This is an important rivalry for basketball in the state of Utah and it’s great for the fans," USU Athletic Director Scott Barnes said. "I’m delighted we were able to get this historic series back on track."
The Aggies open the 2012-13 season on Friday, Oct. 26 in an exhibition game against Grand Canyon. Utah State returns three starters among five lettermen from last year's team that finished the season with a 21-16 record, advancing to the championship game of the CollegeInsider.com Tournament (CIT). USU extended its current school records for consecutive 20-win seasons and postseason appearances to 13-straight in 2012. The Aggies are one of five schools nationally to win 21 games in each of the last 13 years along with Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas and Syracuse. Furthermore, Utah State's current run of 13-straight postseason appearances is tied for the 11th-longest active streak in the nation.
For USU men's basketball ticket information, contact the Utah State Ticket Office at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum or by phone by calling 1-888-USTATE-1 or (435) 797-0305.
Fans can follow the Aggie men's basketball program at twitter.com/AggieHoops. USU fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program at twitter.com/USUAthletics or on facebook at Utah State University Athletics.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 183
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 65
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 56
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48