Theater preview: 'Seven Brothers' will be goin' courtin' in Sundance show
“Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” will serve as a homecoming of sorts for the actors. Goertzen returns to Utah after studying for a law degree at Stetson University College of Law in Tampa Bay, Fla., and Latimer played Cosette in Cameron Mackintosh's heralded 25th anniversary national tour of “Les Miserables,” which included a stop at Salt Lake City's Capitol Theatre.
Working with these experienced musical theater actors “certainly raises the bar and brings a level of professionalism that I was hoping for,” Clark says. “They bring in such great talent but they are also such great, hard workers, and this is also influencing the other cast members.”
Another key component of the success Clark anticipates for “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” is the show’s professional-level choreography. Dances for the Sundance show are being staged by another Utah native, Nathan Balser, whose on-Broadway performance credits include “Legally Blonde,” “9 to 5: the Musical” and “Promises, Promises.”
“Audiences really will be impressed with the dancing and showmanship of Nathan’s choreography,” Clark says.
Like Latimer and Goertzen, Balser has recently returned to Utah and will join the dance faculty at Brigham Young University in the fall. He has previously choreographed “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,” but a production of the musical he performed in holds special significance because it resulted in a real-life wedding: his own. While Balser was playing the role of a brother at Tuacahn, he met an actress playing a bride — and she became his bride the following year.
If you go
What: “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”
Where: Sundance Resort Eccles Outdoor Stage
When: July 23-Aug. 18 at 8 p.m.
How much: $23-$20
Tickets: 877-831-6224 or sundanceresort.com
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies don’t have...
- Contractors' rendition of 'How Great Thou...
- Stephanie Nielson wanted to not just survive,...
- The Clean Cut: Man brought to tears by...
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal that...
- Motherhood Matters: How my son's routine...
- 'Jam-packed with drama': Utah Opera set to...
- Steve Eaton: Counting calories requires a...
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Ann Romney writes about finding hope,... 6
- How 1 in 3 teens handle a breakup will... 6
- Stephanie Nielson wanted to not just... 5
- Contractors' rendition of 'How Great... 4
- UTubers: 'Studio C' dines at The... 2
- Chris Hicks: Modern comedies... 2
- UTubers: 'Studio C' cast members play... 1