Theater preview: 'Seven Brothers' will be goin' courtin' in Sundance show
“Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” will serve as a homecoming of sorts for the actors. Goertzen returns to Utah after studying for a law degree at Stetson University College of Law in Tampa Bay, Fla., and Latimer played Cosette in Cameron Mackintosh's heralded 25th anniversary national tour of “Les Miserables,” which included a stop at Salt Lake City's Capitol Theatre.
Working with these experienced musical theater actors “certainly raises the bar and brings a level of professionalism that I was hoping for,” Clark says. “They bring in such great talent but they are also such great, hard workers, and this is also influencing the other cast members.”
Another key component of the success Clark anticipates for “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” is the show’s professional-level choreography. Dances for the Sundance show are being staged by another Utah native, Nathan Balser, whose on-Broadway performance credits include “Legally Blonde,” “9 to 5: the Musical” and “Promises, Promises.”
“Audiences really will be impressed with the dancing and showmanship of Nathan’s choreography,” Clark says.
Like Latimer and Goertzen, Balser has recently returned to Utah and will join the dance faculty at Brigham Young University in the fall. He has previously choreographed “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers,” but a production of the musical he performed in holds special significance because it resulted in a real-life wedding: his own. While Balser was playing the role of a brother at Tuacahn, he met an actress playing a bride — and she became his bride the following year.
If you go
What: “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers”
Where: Sundance Resort Eccles Outdoor Stage
When: July 23-Aug. 18 at 8 p.m.
How much: $23-$20
Tickets: 877-831-6224 or sundanceresort.com
- Understanding love, handling conflict, other...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- A community comes together to support a...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie?
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he was...
- Want your marriage to last? Have another child
- U.S. kids react — hilariously —...
- Intuition: The sweet spot between helicopter...
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 15
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 10
- Trust, forgiveness and repentance are... 6
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 5
- Sherry Young: A mother's glimpse into... 5
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- The Clean Cut: 5-year-old British boy... 3