SALT LAKE CITY — Five organizations in Utah have been awarded grants totaling $1.39 million.
The AmeriCorps grants help address some of the most pressing challenges facing communities, such as education, environmental stewardship, economic opportunity and healthy futures.
“AmeriCorps members are helping tackle our communities’ toughest issues and strengthening the impact of local organizations,” said LaDawn Stoddard, program manager at the Utah Commission on Volunteers. “At a time of great human need with growing social and economic challenges, national service is a critical and cost effective approach that engages citizens in solving problems in their own communities.”
AmeriCorps is a national service program that works through existing organizations and helps them reach more people and better achieve their mission. The grants go to local nonprofit, community and educational organizations.
In the category of education, The Utah AmeriCorps Literacy Initiative received $750,000 and Utah Campus Compact AmeriCorps Education Award Program got $150,000.
The Utah Conservation Corps Program received $232,286 to help with its environmental stewardship/energy program.
A grant for $133,000 went to the AmeriCorps Alleviating Homelessness program to address economic opportunity in the community.
Another grant for $133,000 was given to AmeriCorps and the Medically Underserved program.
The grants will support the 1,037 AmeriCorps members who serve across the state.
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper to try...
- Bountiful family receives early Christmas...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 103
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 101
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 21
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary... 16