SALT LAKE CITY — Five organizations in Utah have been awarded grants totaling $1.39 million.
The AmeriCorps grants help address some of the most pressing challenges facing communities, such as education, environmental stewardship, economic opportunity and healthy futures.
“AmeriCorps members are helping tackle our communities’ toughest issues and strengthening the impact of local organizations,” said LaDawn Stoddard, program manager at the Utah Commission on Volunteers. “At a time of great human need with growing social and economic challenges, national service is a critical and cost effective approach that engages citizens in solving problems in their own communities.”
AmeriCorps is a national service program that works through existing organizations and helps them reach more people and better achieve their mission. The grants go to local nonprofit, community and educational organizations.
In the category of education, The Utah AmeriCorps Literacy Initiative received $750,000 and Utah Campus Compact AmeriCorps Education Award Program got $150,000.
The Utah Conservation Corps Program received $232,286 to help with its environmental stewardship/energy program.
A grant for $133,000 went to the AmeriCorps Alleviating Homelessness program to address economic opportunity in the community.
Another grant for $133,000 was given to AmeriCorps and the Medically Underserved program.
The grants will support the 1,037 AmeriCorps members who serve across the state.
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Utah husband wins 'Most Memorable Moment'...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 37
- Do Utah high school students need four... 30
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 18
- Young adults are faced with risky... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive... 12