UEA endorses Rep. Jim Matheson in 4th Congressional District race
Deseret News archive
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah largest teachers union endorsed Rep. Jim Matheson in the 4th Congressional District on Wednesday.
Utah Education Association President Sharon Gallagher-Fishbaugh called the six-term Democrat a true friend to education.
"From standing up against private school vouchers to helping save teachers' jobs during the recession to opposing inflexible No Child Left Behind rules, he has been a champion for Utah teachers, parents and schoolchildren," she said in a statement.
Gallagher-Fishbaugh said Matheson’s support for local control of schools and curriculum, along with targeted federal investment without strings attached is important in Utah where school age populations continue to expand.
Matheson faces Republican challenger Mia Love, who currently serves as the mayor of Saratoga Springs.
Also Wednesday, Roll Call reported that the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee has reserved $400,000 of TV advertising time for Matheson from Oct. 16 through Election Day.
In June, the National Republican Congressional Committee announced it intends to spend $948,000 for media ads targeting Matheson after Labor Day.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use trails in...
- Threats lead to evacuation, schedule change...
- Blunt force trauma caused S. Carolina woman's...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 85
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10