MURRAY — The city will increase waste disposal rates next month.
Beginning Aug. 1, the solid waste or garbage rates for those properties served by the city will increase from $8 to $10 per month for the base fee and from $5.50 to $6.85 per month for an additional refuse or recycling container.
Over the past three years, the costs the city pays for collecting and disposing of garbage has increased. Because the solid waste or garbage fund is established as an Enterprise Fund (similar to other utilities such as power, water, sewer), these expenses must be offset by revenue from fees.
There will be rate increases each of the next three years, as well. On July 1, 2013, the base rate fee will increase to $11 and the can fee to $7.60. On July 1, 2014, base will be $11.25 and can fee will be $7.60. July 1, 2015, will see the base fee at $11.50 and can fee at $7.90.
The base fee includes the first automatic refuse container (black can) and the first automated recycling container (green can). Property owners will pay an additional can fee if they have more than one black or green can.
The city will pick up any additional cans residents no longer want as long as they have had it for 12 months or longer. To arrange for a pickup, call the Public Services Department at 801-264-2626.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Mount Timpanogos trail temporarily closing...
- Blue Moon Festival is Aug. 6 in Holladay
- Orem police invest in new armor to protect...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 75
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 21
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14