Overloaded power strip caused fire that destroyed Syracuse home
SYRACUSE — An overloaded power strip started a fire that destroyed a home and displaced a family last week, fire officials said.
The fire, which started Friday in the garage of the house at 3950 W. Baltimore Circle in Syracuse, burned a total of three cars, the garage and most of the upstairs of the home. Syracuse Police Chief Brian Wallace said the home is a complete loss, estimate in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
"The house is a total loss, they said they are just going to knock it down to the foundation," Wallace said. "It was probably, in good times, a $250,000 house but nowadays they are selling for a couple hundred thousand."
Strong winds pushed the fire towards a few other homes, but firefighters were able to contain the fire before it was able to spread.
A neighbor was the first to notice the fire and told the homeowners to evacuate. Nobody was injured in the blaze.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Looming knee surgery inspired man to carve canes
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Resting her case: Judge reflects on Cuban...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Christmas tradition: Judge visits jail to...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 130
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 18
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 18
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Utah family making renewed push for... 9
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9