Oregon man charged with sexual exploitation of Utah teen
Girl's mother also charged, accused of taking nude photos of daughter
DUCHESNE, Duchesne County — Police have taken an Oregon man into custody on a Utah arrest warrant that accuses him of soliciting and receiving nude photographs from a teenage girl.
Daniel Dean Divine was booked Monday into the Deschutes County Adult Jail in Bend, Ore. He is charged in Utah's 8th District Court with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony, and one count of enticing a minor over the Internet, a class A misdemeanor.
Divine, 30, sent an iPhone to a 13-year-old Utah girl and asked her to send him nude photos of herself, according to the affidavit used to obtain the arrest warrant.
"(The girl) stated she realized Daniel was older and wanted to have sex, so she took the photos just to keep him happy," the affidavit states. "(The girl) asked her mother to take the photos of her when she could not figure out how to make the camera on the iPhone work."
Duchesne County sheriff's detectives say the girl's mother obliged her daughter's request, taking three nude photos of the teen.
"(The mother) stated she asked (her daughter) if she was sure she wanted to send these photos to Daniel," the affidavit states.
The woman, who is 35, also told investigators that Divine is a "very good friend of the family" and that her daughter and Divine planned to wait until the girl was 18 years old to engage in a sexual relationship.
Duchesne County prosecutors charged the girl's mother in May with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony. She is scheduled to be arraigned in 8th District Court on Aug. 23.
The Deseret News does not typically report the identities of victims of sex crimes and therefore is not publishing the name of the mother to protect her daughter.
Divine will remain in jail in Oregon while he awaits extradition. His first court appearance in Utah has not yet been scheduled.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22