Oregon man charged with sexual exploitation of Utah teen
Girl's mother also charged, accused of taking nude photos of daughter
DUCHESNE, Duchesne County — Police have taken an Oregon man into custody on a Utah arrest warrant that accuses him of soliciting and receiving nude photographs from a teenage girl.
Daniel Dean Divine was booked Monday into the Deschutes County Adult Jail in Bend, Ore. He is charged in Utah's 8th District Court with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony, and one count of enticing a minor over the Internet, a class A misdemeanor.
Divine, 30, sent an iPhone to a 13-year-old Utah girl and asked her to send him nude photos of herself, according to the affidavit used to obtain the arrest warrant.
"(The girl) stated she realized Daniel was older and wanted to have sex, so she took the photos just to keep him happy," the affidavit states. "(The girl) asked her mother to take the photos of her when she could not figure out how to make the camera on the iPhone work."
Duchesne County sheriff's detectives say the girl's mother obliged her daughter's request, taking three nude photos of the teen.
"(The mother) stated she asked (her daughter) if she was sure she wanted to send these photos to Daniel," the affidavit states.
The woman, who is 35, also told investigators that Divine is a "very good friend of the family" and that her daughter and Divine planned to wait until the girl was 18 years old to engage in a sexual relationship.
Duchesne County prosecutors charged the girl's mother in May with three counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, a second-degree felony. She is scheduled to be arraigned in 8th District Court on Aug. 23.
The Deseret News does not typically report the identities of victims of sex crimes and therefore is not publishing the name of the mother to protect her daughter.
Divine will remain in jail in Oregon while he awaits extradition. His first court appearance in Utah has not yet been scheduled.
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough discovery on...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- The Draw at Sugar House unveiled
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash shared...
- Looking for the perfect Pi Day pie? Here are...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 70
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 28
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 28
- Gov. Herbert: I'm an 'action figure' on... 27
- Hatch, Lee call on federal government... 25