Man suspected in Colorado death kills himself after stealing airplane in St. George
Hedglin's body was found about halfway down the aisle in the plane, Van Fleet said.
"The aircraft did sustain damage. The extent of the damage is currently being inspected by our maintenance and safety professionals," SkyWest said in a prepared statement.
The company retrieved the plane's voice and data recording and investigators were going through it to look for any information about what happened, Van Fleet said.
As for how Hedglin gained access into the plane and started it, Van Fleet said officials were uncertain Tuesday, but noted that his background likely was a factor.
"It's a SkyWest plane. He's a current SkyWest pilot. He's going to know exactly how to get into the plane, activate all the systems … and take that plane off. The average person, I do not think, would be able to do that," he said. "He would have had to have a certain knowledge about how to get that plane going."
The plane was not in service at the time and there were no passengers on board. The airline released a statement saying Hedglin was "on administrative leave" at the time of the incident.
The airport remained closed Tuesday while authorities investigated. "Until the airport is reopened, passengers with Delta Connection flights to and from St. George are being re-accommodated on other flights as well as with ground transportation from nearby Cedar City," SkyWest said in a statement.
Mortensen said all commercial flights were canceled until further notice. The private portion of the airport was still open, however. The St. George airport handles seven flights a day.
The FBI, St. George police and the Transportation Security Administration were conducting a "joint investigation."
Both Cornejo and Hedglin were with the Colorado Army National Guard.
Hedglin has been with the Guard part time since 2008, said Colorado National Guard Capt. Darin Overstreet. Hedglin was a "food service specialist" or a cook, participated in traditional National Guard drills, but was never deployed, Overstreet said.
Cornejo was a full-time National Guard member, joining in 2006 and becoming an officer in 2011. She was part of the 100 Missile Defense Brigade, according to Overstreet.
Hedglin reportedly has relatives who live in southern Utah.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Woman thanks rescuer who pushed her away from...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- Officer, suspect taken to hospital following...
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- Romney, Lee take to the airwaves to... 63
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 59
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 54
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 45
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34