"We at the university know him best, of course, as a scholar and mentor to students, professors and our leadership teams over the course of many years," said USU President Stan Albrecht. "He was an inspirational leader who was always a powerful voice for individual integrity, strong character and extreme trustworthiness in every aspect of life."
Covey not only made a significant impact on the Utah business community, but business people everywhere, said Lane Beattie, president and chief executive officer of the Salt Lake Chamber.
"He believed that leadership was the application of principle in life," Beattie said. "(For him) it was never how to get ahead by stepping on others. It was how to get ahead by lifting others."
"Everything he had done in his life was to help people understand what true leadership was and the impact it has," Beattie said. He noted that Covey lived those principles in his business life and in his personal life.
Utah entrepreneur Alan Hall was a student of Covey's while studying at BYU. He said Covey made a distinct impression upon him and many others from the first time they came in contact with him.
"He got so engaged in what he was doing. You could see the sparkle in his eye (and) the enthusiasm and passion for what he was teaching," Hall said. He said Covey's legacy will be the core principles he espoused about how to be successful in business and life.
"He brought to the forefront some "best practices" that when followed really give people happiness, success and fulfillment," Hall explained. "He'll go down in history as someone who enlightened a lot of people."
Bob Whitman, chairman and chief executive officer of FranklinCovey, called Covey "one of the world's great human beings."
"His impact is incalculable and his influence will continue to inspire generations to come," Whitman said.
- What the Senate’s tax break extensions...
- Heroes 2014: Columnist's hard-nosed, biblical...
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- About Utah: He un-retired and found a world...
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- Food hubs link consumers with locally farmed...
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral?
- What are people gifting this year? Data from...
- BBC exposes inhumane working conditions... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5
- Should toy marketing be gender neutral? 5
- N. Korea compares Obama to monkey in... 4
- Low gas prices are great, but could be... 4
- What the Senate’s tax break... 4
- US consumer spending up solid 0.6 pct.... 1
- Guaranteeing results: College sees... 1