Crews work to recover plane crash wreckage, possible victims in Sevier County
RICHFIELD — The wreckage of a plane believed to have been carrying a couple from Northern California to Aspen, Colo., was being recovered Monday in Sevier County.
Family members started calling authorities for signs of the overdue plane on Saturday night, hoping the couple had made an emergency landing somewhere, according to the Sevier County Sheriff's Office.
Radar indicated the last place the aircraft was tracked was near the borders of Sevier, Emery and Sanpete counties. In addition to a search from the Civil Air Patrol, family members got a private helicopter and assisted in the search themselves.
The helicopter located a "debris field" in a rugged area in Saleredas Canyon, sheriff's deputies said. The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were assisting in the recovery and investigative effort.
There were no reports of survivors. The names of the people traveling were not immediately released.
If the pilot and passenger are confirmed as being killed in the crash, it would mark the 14th and 15th people killed in plane crashes in Utah this year. Eleven people were killed in plane crashes in Utah in all of 2011, according to the NTSB.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16