Crews work to recover plane crash wreckage, possible victims in Sevier County
RICHFIELD — The wreckage of a plane believed to have been carrying a couple from Northern California to Aspen, Colo., was being recovered Monday in Sevier County.
Family members started calling authorities for signs of the overdue plane on Saturday night, hoping the couple had made an emergency landing somewhere, according to the Sevier County Sheriff's Office.
Radar indicated the last place the aircraft was tracked was near the borders of Sevier, Emery and Sanpete counties. In addition to a search from the Civil Air Patrol, family members got a private helicopter and assisted in the search themselves.
The helicopter located a "debris field" in a rugged area in Saleredas Canyon, sheriff's deputies said. The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were assisting in the recovery and investigative effort.
There were no reports of survivors. The names of the people traveling were not immediately released.
If the pilot and passenger are confirmed as being killed in the crash, it would mark the 14th and 15th people killed in plane crashes in Utah this year. Eleven people were killed in plane crashes in Utah in all of 2011, according to the NTSB.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14