Crews work to recover plane crash wreckage, possible victims in Sevier County
RICHFIELD — The wreckage of a plane believed to have been carrying a couple from Northern California to Aspen, Colo., was being recovered Monday in Sevier County.
Family members started calling authorities for signs of the overdue plane on Saturday night, hoping the couple had made an emergency landing somewhere, according to the Sevier County Sheriff's Office.
Radar indicated the last place the aircraft was tracked was near the borders of Sevier, Emery and Sanpete counties. In addition to a search from the Civil Air Patrol, family members got a private helicopter and assisted in the search themselves.
The helicopter located a "debris field" in a rugged area in Saleredas Canyon, sheriff's deputies said. The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were assisting in the recovery and investigative effort.
There were no reports of survivors. The names of the people traveling were not immediately released.
If the pilot and passenger are confirmed as being killed in the crash, it would mark the 14th and 15th people killed in plane crashes in Utah this year. Eleven people were killed in plane crashes in Utah in all of 2011, according to the NTSB.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- Union Pacific train makes special... 13