Becky Linke, For the Deseret News
OGDEN — A warehouse that stored, among other items, tanks filled with natural gas, was destroyed in an explosive fire Monday.
Just before 1:30 p.m., crews were called to C & G Global Inc., in the 700 block of Wall Avenue, on a report of a large fire, said Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman. An employee working in the building had stepped outside to load a truck, Bauman said. While outside, he heard an explosion from inside the building.
As firefighters battled the fire, there were several explosions inside the large warehouse because of the natural gas tanks, Bauman said.
"Then there was one huge gigantic explosion, you could feel it hitting you in the face," said David Robinson, who witnessed the fire. "Then the back of the house started catching fire and the grass field started catching fire and more explosions, one after another, probably six or seven at least."
The structure was destroyed as well as six cars parked outside the building and one forklift, according to police. The nearest home was about 50 feet away. The fire scorched the lawn of that home, but firefighters were able to stop it from spreading to the house.
Another small fire was started by flying debris about a block away from the blaze. The spot fire was extinguished quickly by a resident of the property.
The cause of the fire was still under investigation Monday. There were no reported injuries. The fire also forced a two-block section of Wall Avenue to be shut down for awhile.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 63
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 13